Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions on high heat paint for exhaust pipes? All the paints I have tried tends to rust after a few outings once a little salt from trailering gets on them.

Thanks

·
Registered
88 Posts
go to your local harley davidson dealer and get a can of black engine paint,it's about 14 bucks a can but i put the gray on my harley last year and it still looks good,it's probably the best paint out of a jiggle can i have ever used! hope this helps

·
Registered
425 Posts
There's a thread that I was talking about this same thing. I asked if I could use flat black Rustoleum Barbeque paint. It is generally used for high temperature applications. Others that replied to the thread said they have used it with success. I was going to give it try. I figure what the hell, its cheap enough and should work.

If you can read this I'm parked!

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
The key it to sand them real good, then clean them with a solvent. The stuff I used was high heat engine paint. There are 2 kinds the 500 degree stuff and the 1200 or 1500 degree stuff get the latter of them. Two years and mine still look good.

TRIPLE-THE ONLY CHOICE!!!!!

'93 XLT 580
'00 Indy Triumph

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
The muffler on my newly restored 81 Trailcat was looking like it has been sitting on the shoreline in Nova Scotia for the last 10 years.
Last night went to my local paint dealer and got some 1000 degree bbq paint,
power wire brushed it then painted, but I should have done as Acexlt said and wiped it with solvent, oh well.....we will see how long it lasts like that.
That sled doesn't go on every trip anyways, only when my wife or a sled-less buddy (got too many of those) wants to go along.

When hell freezes over, we'll ride there too.

·
Registered
277 Posts
First make sure your pipes are clean and rust free. Sandblast the pipes until they are a nice shade of gray or silver. If you cant have them sandblasted then sand the snot out of them until the rust is gone. If you dont get all the rust off, it will come thru the nice fresh paint you just put over them. Rust is a cancer and unless you remove all of it, it will be back. I use Plasti-Kote Ultra high temp paint. Good for up to 1500 degrees. Lay on 3,4,5 coats. As many as you can. If you have triple pipes, buy at least 2 to 3 cans. Mine look like day one and if I get a small spot from water laying on the pipe, I just give it a quick scuff and touch it up. Forget the 1000 degree stuff, it will burn off by the manifold real quick. 1200 degree is ok, but 1500 degree is the best. Good luck from the clean freak!!

'HAMMER DOWN !!'

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Mine is still in relatively good shape but I was wondering if there was a way to keep it from spreading. Is there anyway to just "touch up" the rust spots on mine? Or would I have to redo the whole thing. Just wondering cause I will probably trade it on a newer liquid cooled sled in the spring/next fall.

Trees don't make the greatest brakes.

·
Registered
502 Posts
When we paint our silencers, we clean them with a good paint thinner(the kind that makes you dizzy if you don't wear a mask) let them air dry and then paint them in a down draft booth with a high buck automotive paint from shyboygan, and then bake them.

But if we are doing a touch up or a single can we just clean with thinner, and use a 1200 degree bbq paint, it seems to work really nice. It's a lot better than the crappy paint that AC uses on all their cans.

I don't use the brakes until I see God, and I am never wrong. I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.
http://www.whiteknuckleperformance.com

1 - 9 of 9 Posts