Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was taking off my exhaust the other day and I don't have a spring tool. After some thought I figured out a great way to get them off safely without damaging them.

string trimmer line and leather gloves!

just get a 3-4' section of string trimmer line, feed it through the hook on the spring. Now wrap the string around your hand so that it doesn't slip through. You can then pull on the spring with one hand and guide it off with your free hand. The trimmer line is very tough and held up great for me.

I have used pliers and screwdrivers before but that is dangerous (slip and hurt yourself or sled) and also damages the springs. This worked MUCH better and was quite easy.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Sounds like a good idea, ive always used a nail bent into a hook with the head squeezed into a pair of vise grips as my exh spring remover tool. String trimmer line sounds like it may be a little safer.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Im well aware they make a spring removal tool at a reasonable price to. For me the idea of coming up with my own way to remove them was more less just a i don't have one already and i need my exhaust off now. No time to wait for shipping on the tool.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
dont forget to put a line of silicone on your spring after you install it [thumb]

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
i usually use tie wire. same princaple just another option

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Bmxican said:
dont forget to put a line of silicone on your spring after you install it [thumb]
What for?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Bmxican said:
Im curious about this. I have not heard of that before. Whats the reason for silicone?

Brian

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
helps reduce the vibration on the springs making them last longer

·
Registered
245 Posts
i just took a broken screw driver. heated it up with the torch flatened it a little bit and bent it for the hook. but this sounds like a good idea too. way faster

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
littlemel said:
Bmxican said:
What for?
decreases the amount of vibration passed through the spring. supersonic vibrations. stuff that makes bolts loose after time.

MuscleD said:
I just grab them with my hands and pull.
no you don't.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
MuscleD said:
I just grab them with my hands and pull.
You have bionic grip if you do. I highly doubt you can.

·
Registered
718 Posts
or maybe his springs are sprung, are too long and can be taken off easy:p

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
shadetree was advertising the same springs from polaris in their catalogue, my uncle went there on his way back home one day to pick some up, the guy handed him a piece of wire that looked like it got wrapped around a pencil and said here you are. he said he could bend them in half with one hand so they were useless. i dont understand why a company would try to sell junk like that.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
I use these...

http://www.harborfreight.com/spring-hook-95757.html And I usually give one to everyone who's sled I work on.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts