Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i learn a lesson with this one pulling the spring back with a pliers then it lets loose and goes right thru my index finger so i used a needle nose vise grip works great

1,792 Posts
^^ x2 [:D]

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I also use a needle nose vise-grip. I don't see the need to buy a special tool that's used for one purpose.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Who said anything about buying one bigrok. I made with with an old crappy flat head screwdriver in under a minute with a cut-off grinder. 2010917211232500_29105.jpg
2010917211237140_29105.jpg

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
I use a shoe lace to take them off,wrap it around the end of the spring and pull it off with ease.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Dragon700 said:
Who said anything about buying one bigrok. I made with with an old crappy flat head screwdriver in under a minute with a cut-off grinder. 2010917211232500_29105.jpg
Nobody said buy one. But with your way, you ruined a screwdriver. It's useless for anything else. A needle nose vise-grip is still multi-functional.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
T handle with a hook at the end. But sometimes even the T-handle doesn't provide enough grip to pull the springs apart. Dragon700 I can't imagine how tight you have to squeeze that flathead driver handle to get enough pulling force

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
bigrok said:
Dragon700 said:
Nobody said buy one. But with your way, you ruined a screwdriver. It's useless for anything else. A needle nose vise-grip is still multi-functional.
Well I guessing that all of you guys have at least 1 screw driver lyin' around never getting used.

And Polaris Parts, I don't have to grip it too much, I do it 1 handed some times and I'm not what you would call ripped. You've just got to make sure that your getting an angle on the spring where your not pulling on anything but the spring.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Dang well a lot of the springs I have to take off are already strectched pretty far and you gotta stretch them further to get it off the hoop- not to mention all the 90s sleds I work have the springs practically rusted to the hoops! I've gotten many scraped knuckles and wrists from slipping while using all my strength to unhook them! Cuss words usually help though.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
I've never used a spring tool, but all I can say is those little buggers are a pain! I'm 180 pounds 6'2 and I still have to really pull to get those things back on again! Then again that's half the fun of wrenching on your own sled.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I did the same with a flat head, but also my break tool works well. If you have that little break tool for working on drum brakes it works great.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
F5, yep, just dont cut too deep, or it will start to bend the tab at the end.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
The best way buy far is to take a piece of wire about 2 feet long and make a loop. then put that over the spring and pull. Makes easy work as it never slips and you can get it into some spots where nothing else will work.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
^^ I have that and my screwdriver. The "Wire" idea works well for the backside can springs on IQ's

1 - 20 of 38 Posts