Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was doing some reading on 2-stroke exhaust tuning and I came across this
"The reason the pipe is expanded is to simulate a much longer pipe. A correct length pipe would be about 30 feet long if not expanded."

Is that true? I'm just wondering what would happen if you took 30 feet of pipe and coiled it around.
I'm sorry, I don't have much exhaust tuning knowledge. if anybody could help me out that would be great!
thanks in advance

·
Registered
661 Posts
Somehow I don't see that as being true. 2-stroke motor pipes have an "expansion chamber" that needs to produce a certain back pressure at a certain time to run properly and get the peak HP out of the motor at a given RPM. Do a search on pipes / exhaust. I know Tripple650indy has great threads explaining this in detail.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Originally posted by Junkrider
[br]I was doing some reading on 2-stroke exhaust tuning and I came across this
"The reason the pipe is expanded is to simulate a much longer pipe. A correct length pipe would be about 30 feet long if not expanded."

Is that true? I'm just wondering what would happen if you took 30 feet of pipe and coiled it around.
I'm sorry, I don't have much exhaust tuning knowledge. if anybody could help me out that would be great!
thanks in advance
No!

The expansions manipulate the pressure within the pipe. A 30 ft pipe would be terrible simple because you'd be tuned for a extremely low RPM. Longer pipe=lower RPM because the pressure waves must travel farther. Therefore the engine cannot run out of the range of the pipe because it would burn down due to being lean.

Here's a link I created to help explain pipes.

http://www.snowmobilefanatics.net/triple650indy/11

1 - 3 of 3 Posts