Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I was reading a few forums on the exhaust laws in Michigan, how can I quiet down my sled? I don't want to deal with looking for a different system for it if I got pulled over. I know the law is 78 db's 50 feet away running between 3500-4000 rpm if I do a test soon sitting outside and having it run at those rpm's and say its 70 db's at 50 feet away am I still good? Also can I repack the stingers myself or do I have to take them to someone? Thanks guys.

(These tests are either the SAE J192, an acceleration test through a 150-foot trap with a maximum decibel level of 78 dB at 50 feet, or the SAE J1162, a 15 mile per hour pass by test with a maximum decibel level of 73 dB at 50 feet)

Also here's a video of it running in the garage with the doors closed so it's louder. What do you guys think, is it going to be too loud for trail riding?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9BBWSPfYCs

·
Registered
308 Posts
I dont know what the best way to quiet that thing down is but I do want to tell you that thing sounds GOOD!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya I love the way it sounds but I think its too loud and I don't need that ticket. I'll post a video with it outside and do a db test and post the results in the next day or two.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
You should let the motor warm up before revving it like that.

Are you able to have it checked now just so you know where you are at and how much quieter you need to go??

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya Ik I should of let it warm up before revving it up like that. I thought it was still warm when I had it running for 15 minutes about 18 minutes before I did the video.

But I have a db tester that I have when doing db testing in subwoofer competitions it still does the job for testing.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey guys I did a db test today 50 feet away with the snowmobile running, just at idle I have 86.3 decibels, I really don't want to see the rpm test it would be higher I think. So I cut the weld off to get to the pack and here are some pictures. Should I repack them? And if so will it drop the decibels down? Thanks for the help

20101130114323820_33730.jpg
20101130114325664_33730.jpg

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I would re-pack them and yes it will drop the db but i'm not sure it will drop it enough. Was the 86.3 db from 50 feet away?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yup 50 feet away. front of the sled, the sides and the back were all the same.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I would re-pack, that should drop it about 5db i would think. That should be good enough. If someone does check you it will be over 78db but we ride about the same areas and i hardly ever see anyone checking, if fact i've never seen a (i guess there called wardens?) while driving, just seen 2 stopped and that's been it. My cousin has a f7 with a Sno-Stuff can and it hurts my ears just running it idling in the garage and you can hear him from about a mile away at high rpm's and he never gets in trouble. But its up to you.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was stopped two times last year by the officers up there in Kalkaska heading to Fife lake and my 500 was loud but this is louder I think. We were stopped because my girlfriends brother was flying and they asked for his license and then told me to be the leader, and I do must of the time because he's 16 now and he loves to go extremely fast. The other time was a trespassing that had no signs around and there were trails through it and we were just following the trails. The guy was cool he seen I didn't live in the area and asked us to go back and then follow the road down to another trail that was okay to ride on. Other than that I just don't want that ticket, you know.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Packing it will help some, I would maybe drop the stingers and see if you can find a quiter aftermarket can.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ya it wont be cheap, the pipes have the stingers welded on them. These pipes are custom made for this chassis.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfh1roaP-WU&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

What do you guys think 50 feet away?

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
man that cat can puuuurrrrrrrrrrrrr....it sounds really good

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Its loud but i think it will be fine, its not a high pitch annoying sound, its more of a low grumble. The buildings and garage make it sound it bit louder than it would out in the open plus with the exhaust dumping out on the snow, i would think that the snow would absorb some of the sound more than concrete. Someone else can jump in though and give their opinion.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts