Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI guys...I have a 2003 500 xcsp that the wife hit a tree with and dented the exhaust right were it makes the bend to go to the resonator and I am wondering if I have to replace it? or can I run it this way?it seem to run ok from the spot of impact back to the trailer but noticed a big gap between the y pipe and the doughnut. thus leaving a residue on the frame.

·
Registered
814 Posts
You're definately going to want to get the pipe re-aligned to eliminate the leak at the Y-pipe joint- as far as the dent, I guess it depends how big it is. I know the shape and volume of the expansion chamber is pretty important. Maybe you could drill a hole in the middle of the dent and pull it out, then weld the hole closed. Just a thought.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Definatly make sure there is no gap at the exaust junction like Tripleb said. The back pressure that develops in the pipe helps the engine run correctly. If there is a leak, you lose pressure. Also, exaust gasses that leak out under the hood get sucked back in the intake and hurt performance. I'm also not sure about the dent. Tripleb's idea of bending it out sounded good though.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
in the process of getting it fixed,just cant seem to get it to fit right again...may have to buy a new one.no one here has one for sale and cant find one on e-bay.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Maybe if you can get it pretty close you can seal the remaining gap with some high temperature caulk. I don't know what kind of caulking to use for sure but I've heard people talk about using it for their exausts. Post on here... someone will know.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts