Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
about 3 days ago my little bro was out on his 580, and ended up phonin me. said he thought the sled might be blown, so i went out on the zrt and sure enough it was blown. so i towed him home and me and the old man popped the head off. the top ring on the piston snagged the exaust port, and broke a hefty chunk off the top of the pistion, which scored the jug and musta blew out the exhaust, because no further damage, that weve seen yet has been done. any ideas why the ring woulda snagged???

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
bad luck!! some times things happen ,why do not know

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 97 580 EXT broke left piston in exact same way. I purchased sleeve from Dennis Kirk, Wiseco piston kit, new wrist pin bearings, gaskets. Local machine shop did the sleeve work and fit it for the piston and I did the reassembly. I had about $700 into the job and 1200 miles later no problems. I have been told that Arctic Cat manufactured some seriously flawed pistons in this era. Local Cat dealer told me the factory pistons were known to fail at 3000 miles or less. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well we got lucky on a deal for a used jug and new piston from a guy who had a spare motor. 150 bucks for the whole deal, so the ext is back and runnin prime[8D]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts