Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I just been thinking that maybe i should extend the track so that I can go in the powder better And I think it might be nice to have Would it be a great idea on a Evolved chassis, Hear is the one i am looking at
http://www.startinglineproducts.com/catalog.cfm?pageID=detail&catalogID=3&catID=16&productID=106

Would it be easier to buy the rails and make the tunnel extension, because at boces They have some scrap lying around and they said if u want to use it u can have it. I would like to see before and after pictures of people that had a 121 and then turned it into a 136 I plan on keeping the same lug height so do I need to buy different sprockets
Any advice would be appreciated

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
I have a 121-144 tracksusa rail extension and it was the single best upgrade i could have done. That extra track on the ground has so many benefits to it. I bought a Vanamburg tunnel exension as well and i honestly can't be more happy with the setup. Long tracking a sled is one of the best ideas IMO. Do it right, though if you can afford it. Making some may work, but it might be more of a headache than its worth.

I suggest looking at tracksusa extensions. They are proven and have been around for a while and are well worth the money. Here is a picture of mine.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Could I make the tunnel extension, what kind of clutching changes do I have to make and how hard are they to install, I think I can save some money if I buy the rails and a really good used track like an ripsaw 1.5 or intense and make the tunnel extension like what dimensions are needed to make it Can any body tell me if their is a difference when a track is fully clipped or clipped every 3rd window because I have no idea

·
Registered
610 Posts
I've got a 144x15x 1.25 track for $500. I'm in Southern NH.

Mad-Boondocker said:
Could I make the tunnel extension, what kind of clutching changes do I have to make and how hard are they to install, I think I can save some money if I buy the rails and a really good used track like an ripsaw 1.5 or intense and make the tunnel extension like what dimensions are needed to make it Can any body tell me if their is a difference when a track is fully clipped or clipped every 3rd window because I have no idea

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In NY I think 144 is to much because it would push to much in trails Thanks for the offer though I think one of my friends also wants to extend his track on his ZRT i will see if he wants it

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Mad-Boondocker said:
In NY I think 144 is to much because it would push to much in trails Thanks for the offer though I think one of my friends also wants to extend his track on his ZRT i will see if he wants it
Thats a myth nowadays. All tracksusa 144" rails are tipped up the last 10" so they act like a 136 on trail and float and ride like a 144" in deep snow and over large bumps and you get the added traction and stopping benefits of a 144 vs a 136 or 121. I do not push corners with a 144 anymore than anyone else i ride with with either a 121 or 136. This is not a lie.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am looking into 136 more because I just got a call from a guy who has a parts store that I did not know until now I guess he has a RMK tunnel from a 98 for about $20 so I think I will buy that in a couple of days, Can any body tell me if their is a difference when a track is fully clipped or clipped every 3rd window because I have no idea

·
Registered
249 Posts
A fully clipped track will have all the windows open. The windows are the open part between every metal clip that the hifax run on. So a clipped every third track has every third window closed with rubber and no metal clip. The the benifit of this was to save weight, but it also doesn't let in as much snow to cool the hifax.

The finger track that was on my wildcat in my signature was a clipped every third track but i never had any trouble with the hifax getting to hot. And if you do have trouble with the hifax getting hot you could always cut them open to let in snow.

·
Registered
5 Posts
No you will need tunnel extensions.
Can you explain why? I would like to make this similar to the slash (short tunnel) that polaris and skidoo both sell factory now. I see videos of people cutting ten inches off thier tunnels, i figure my tunnels already short so if i extend the track i should get the same result...

·
Super Moderator
24 Posts
Usually due to the shock shaft having more travel through the end of the track motion causes it to hit the flap and back of tunnel. You could shorten the shock shaft and limit the travel to do what you need. Otherwise it'll hit.

·
Super Moderator
24 Posts
Try it and tell us how it goes. Not going to argue with anyone about modifications. It's mostly experiment and see how it goes I found when i did my ZR900 121-128in extender.

·
Super Moderator
11,681 Posts
I don't think one necessarily 'needs' to extend the tunnel. I think a lot of times it's done for engine cooling. With a short tunnel (and likely a short or non-existent snow flap) on a long track, you may not get as much snow into the tunnel, and therefore not as much snow circulating to the heat exchangers and may run the risk of overheating in low snow or icy conditions.

I think there's also a certain amount of personal safety in a tunnel extension. Digging out a stuck sled comes to mind. With a short tunnel on a long track, there's a certain amount of situational awareness that needs to happen in that the track is going to be farther back than the point you can lift from.

Just my two-cents.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't think one necessarily 'needs' to extend the tunnel. I think a lot of times it's done for engine cooling. With a short tunnel (and likely a short or non-existent snow flap) on a long track, you may not get as much snow into the tunnel, and therefore not as much snow circulating to the heat exchangers and may run the risk of overheating in low snow or icy conditions.

I think there's also a certain amount of personal safety in a tunnel extension. Digging out a stuck sled comes to mind. With a short tunnel on a long track, there's a certain amount of situational awareness that needs to happen in that the track is going to be farther back than the point you can lift from.

Just my two-cents.
Thanks for your thoughts. I am going to have the track and rail extentions installed by tracksusa. I will mod the flap or replace it and add some scratchers. I will update and let everyone know how it goes. Thanks again.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts