Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some tips and hints on the Xtra 12 Rear....

Mainly, I was riding my sled this past week and in 30 miles i broke both limiter strap bolts, apparently too much strain on the bolts!

would it hurt the suspension to leave the limiters unhooked?

Also, I plan on taking this beast to an uphill race in february, anyone have any tips on setting up the rear to get maximum traction? Im running a 136x15x1.5" paddle track and I wanna put as much power to the ground as possible!

Any general hints or tips are welcome, i've never dealt with an X12 before! thanks

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
if you leave the limiters unhooked it will ruin your track it will do wheelies a lot more but the whole suspension stays on the ground and puts a bad angle on the track.

·
Registered
725 Posts
yep, you will do wheelies like no other with an xtra-10 if you unhook the limiters, dont know for sure about the xtra-12 but I would guess its the same. It might actually help in an uphill climb due to the fact that more of the track will be on the ground for more traction, not sure just a thought. Go for a ride and let us know!

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Here's an odd idea.... ride it a little and see if it does anything wierd while riding.
I broke a front limiter strap on my old 1988 style suspension, and it didn't seem to hurt a thing. Its a totally different style than what you have though, so I guess you should fix it.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
I would not recommend riding an XTRA-12 without the limiter straps. The front of the rails already are quite a ways below the belly of the machine and the track has a steep angle at full extension. I have heard of people stabbing a rail through their track. I have never experienced it, but I bet it sucks.

If your straps broke, maybe they were too tight in the first place.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
not to mention how do you plan to steer the machine?? There is no down pressure to turn?? Sounds maybe the straps were old and possibly rotted, I found a bad strap had destroyed the other, when I was performing maintenance on the machine.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Straps are fine, and were on the last hole, bolts are what broke, and I put prolly 15-20 miles on without them, steered fine....

Either way, Im just looking for an insights any old special owners had with this suspension, aka "speed secrets" per say, let me rake your brain

This whole skid has been rebuilt rail to rail, anything broken or remotly broke was replaced, all new idler bearings, few new shafts, etc, so far so good, need some more snow!

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
I do not know how the bolts would break and not tear the rubber straps.

There are no "speed" secrets with an XTRA-12. Keep the track loose. With a 121" I run about 1.25" of slack in the track at the middle of the rails with the rear end lifted. With a 136", I would think you could go to 1.5" slack.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by JD
[br]I do not know how the bolts would break and not tear the rubber straps.

There are no "speed" secrets with an XTRA-12. Keep the track loose. With a 121" I run about 1.25" of slack in the track at the middle of the rails with the rear end lifted. With a 136", I would think you could go to 1.5" slack.
Me either with the bolts, but there are none now and two loose straps with no holes...

I have my track decently tight now, hmm! Any advantages to setting the shock springs at different levels? as in, more transfer with a softer rear shock?

Thinks its better to soften up both shocks and run the springs on high?

Im not familiar with this suspension at all, and niether are the people i ride with, I like to ride rough trail and have the most amount of transfer possible...thanks!

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
The main thing I have found with the XTRA-12 is keep the ski pressure low. Use a high preload on the front track spring. Use a lighter rear spring. And adjust the torsion springs to your liking.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I would think the bolts fell out rather than broke. In any event the straps are there for a reason, if you want loosen them up but don't leave them undone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts