Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone found a solution to keep eyeglasses from fogging up inside your helmet? Or for that matter, the helmet face shield from fogging up too? As long as I am moving forward, with the face shield open, it's fine. But when we stop for a minute or two, or I put the face shield down, it all steams up. Is there a magical solution to this problem?

·
Registered
246 Posts
My dad has glasses and has spent a lot of money trying different helmets. The only thing he will use now is a moto-cross style helmet with goggles. You can get an insert with your perscription that just snaps into the goggle.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
i use a yamaha anti fog spray. spray it on wipe off repeat 2 times and blamo nomore fogging. i had the same problem with my sunglasses fogging up even tho i have the breathe deflector my visor wouldnt fog up but sunglasses would. i used that spray on the ole oakleys and no more probs

·
Registered
227 Posts
For your glasses I can only suggest anti-fog. You can find it a pharmacy, or a store like Wal-mart. About the helmet, a double panel winter shield is a must if you don't already have one. An electric shield is the best way to go. If your shield is fogging in between the two panels of the shield, apply a light bead of clear silicone sealant along the edge of the inner shield lens. Make sure all the moisture is out from in between the lenses. Set it over the heat register in your house, that is dry heat. Don't melt it:0] If you have this problem on the trail, when you stop for a break lay your helmet on your hood over the air vents above your exhaust. Also stuff your gloves in the other

·
Registered
227 Posts
$#it hit enter to soon. Put gloves in the other vents on those cold rides.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Worn glasses a long time. issues is not the shiled but the glasses.I use to like the goggles and motx helmet style years ago. Problem was the cold and catching too much wind.
I have a beat up old "no-fog" breath deflector.It's must be 8 years old now. A neoprene bacsed deflector that covers your nose and cheeks, will not let your breath comeup easly. I hav'nt had the need for an electric shield in a while in a hjc airtech.I've tried other combo's and keep coming back to this one. Looking at a new helmet now, the key is to get one that has a built in delfelctor, but it has to float on your face (hjc symex, skidoo modular) instead of being fixed in the helmet likemost others. hjcair 5.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Take a small amount of liquid dishsoap (clear kind) and rub it on your glasses with a soft cloth. Let it dry to a haze and then rub off with a soft cloth. Works good on glasses but only ok on helmet shield. Would work in a pinch if you didnt have any anti-fog with you.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
The best solution is contact lenses, but if that isn't an option then the no fog stuff will work to a point.

Ran into a guy on the trail last weekend who was not able to go that route and invested 500 bucks in a new modular Ski-doo helmet. Seemed to work pretty good. The breath deflector actualy vents though tubes on each side, and those plug into vents in the sides of the helmet.
It was not perfect but it seemed to work OK for him that day, and it was -30 C that morning.
gbaronet...I have an LS air-3, and the built in deflectors seem to work OK, but the foam tends to get torn away as you slide the helmet over your belaclava. I know a guy with the same helmet as me, and he swears by his No-Fog, stay in place all the time.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Shaving cream! No $hit! rub shaving cream on them, let it sit for a few mins, rub off and then you'll be fine. I use this on my mirror in the bathroom and it doesn't fog up after a shower. I told alot of my buddies this for their glasses and it works. Try it

·
Registered
614 Posts
I wear glasses, but I don't know if they fog up, cause I ride so fast that I get scared. When I get scared I close my eyes. No fog problem.LOL
I use an modular helmet, leave the face open until I start to move, then I lower it. Usually no problem, but on the weekend I rode in driving snow and a lot of snow dust, and fogged up. So I'll be the test pilot on satur day. I'll try my motocross helmet with goggles and a no fog system.I'll let you know the results on sunday night.

·
Registered
614 Posts
When I left my quick strap for my goggles came off so I had to use my HJC modular helmet. Saturday it was -10c rode all day with very little fogging. No fog system was a little hard to get use to (being tight on your face, and you breath through a small openning)but after 1/2 hour it was ok. At no time did my face get cold even at 80-90 mph.
Sunday,-32c . The system worked ok, but I made a mistake of openning my visor for a little while and my glasses got cold and froze up on me, just like frost on your truck windsheild.
So far this is the best system I've tried , and I'll take another try with the motorcross helmet tomorrow.

·
Registered
266 Posts
This is no lie! I used soap before , till I caught some powder when my shield was part open. soap got in my eyes...Really Sucked!!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I tried the shaving cream method - AND IT WORKED! This is so great!
Just took a little tiny bit and spread it all over each side of each lens. Let it sit for a couple of minutes, then wipe with napkin(s) until completely clear. No more fogging! Doesn't last forever though - you have to do it again before you ride if there is a day or two between rides.
Thanks Mr. Polaris!

·
Registered
975 Posts
Cool Scott[:D][8D] Told ya and yes you do have to do it in between rides. It's more or less a quick fix between rides. Still cheaper than contacts. Glad I could be of help[:D]

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
I tried the shaving cream idea on my helmet shield this past weekend. Didn't work for me.......

·
Registered
546 Posts
There are quite a few companys including Polaris that make a thing kinda like a face mask that covers your mouth and nose and directs your breathe way from your eyes or shield or goggles.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Shaving cream worked OK not great. Maybe lazer eye treatment?

·
Registered
133 Posts
I wear glasses. I don't like contacts. I've been riding for over 30 years. I've tried everything. Two years ago my wife bought me the solution cause I couldn't bring myself to spend $300-plus for a helmet. I now own a Ski-Doo modular helmet. The nose/mouth piece seals tight against my face and vents directly to the outside. No more holding my breath when I slow down momentarily.

Something I didn't expect but found to be very cool is the slide down sun shield. Down in the sun, up in the woods. Instantanious change on the fly.

This helmet is the #$&%. I ride Polaris.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts