Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the lake we have seen the revs hit as high as 14,000. All day we check the max rpm on the dash and most of the time it was over 10,000 anyone else having this problem.By the way the moter has already been rebiult and the sled has 450 miles on it.

·
Registered
777 Posts
14000,you have a Electrical problem with the tach,theres no way that thing is revving that high,theres some recall,1 of many . about the about relocating the coil or turning it over,it,s interferring with the tach signal

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
ya......14,000 RPM is way to high, there is no way an engine could handle that.....

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
If indeed your engine is over revving like you think it is....its in your clutching. And if you hadnt said your engine has been rebuilt once already i'd agree with these guys having to do with the tach interference. But there is no reason for the engine to have been rebuilt after only 450 miles....you may have a genuine complaint on your hands here....Try the marker test on your clutches. Take a permanent marker and draw some lines on the clutch faces from the center to the outermost edge. Take it for a breif spin and come back and look to see if all the marker is worn off. Im going to guess that your clutches are binding if in fact you are over revving....just a thought. Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
when the tach goes that high the engine does miss for a second. we are not overly concerned due to warrenty just wondering if any one has had the same prob. thanks

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
If you actually turned 14,000 r's you wouldn't have a clutch left to put marks on. Thats why they had to gear reduce the RX-1 because a clutch won't hang together at 11,000 r's that the motor redlines at. I would definately check for some sort of electrical interferance or through some really heavy weights at it.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
did you have air in the water? the dealer did a good prep job didnt they? not.

i cant imagine there isnt a rev limiter. that thing would have such a sound to it at 14,000 i dont believe it could get there because the hp falls so fast after 8200 that the engine couldnt even get there. you belt would melt in a second or you would be doing 200+mph.

·
Registered
506 Posts
if your clutch bound it's possible, and I have faith that the clutch could still hold together at 14000 for a short while, we run our race clutches at 11000+ at the track and they're ok, not recommended if your putting on a couple of hundred kilometers/day, but for short bursts, it's ok for the clutches to spin fast. I don't doubt that it could spin 14000 for a half minute or so.

I also doubt that the firecats have rev limiters, cat pulled ALOT off these things to make them light, and I think the rev limiter would probably be in that catagory.

for the record guys most of these things have tolerances built into them, they redline at a certain rpm, but in short bursts, they can handle FAR more than that without flying apart, but don't cross the redline for very long. and for the engine RPM, the yamaha R6 spins at over 14000 all the time, and it's a 4-stroke! it has to worry about floating valves.

as to why the sled is doing this, I need more information, how fast are you going when the engine is hitting these rpms? if it's over 100mph, I'll say the clutches aren't stuck, and it's tach interference, if it's below that and it seems to really pull hard and/or spin the track while the rpm's are riseing, I'll say it may be a stuck clutch, give her the marker check, a stuck clutch may be as simple as a clutch rebuild, or blowing a piece of dirt out of the primary.

ya, I have a feeling that if other firecats are doing this cat is gonna be loseing some serios $$ via the factory warranty

1 - 10 of 10 Posts