Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this oughta open a can of worms, but here goes.
I have a terrible dilemma. I have qualified for financing at my Arctic Cat dealer for a 2004 Firecat F7 EFI SnoPro, and my Polaris dealer for a 2004 ProX2 700. Terrible isn't it.
I have been repairing sleds for 20+ years, rode thousands of miles a year until 6 years ago, then none at all until last year when I put 2000 miles on my 91 RXL only on weekends.This year I have lots of time to sled, so I am getting a new sled. My problem is: I have been repairing sleds, but not riding them, so I am a little outdated on what the new sleds are like according to how riders feel about their sleds.
I am a mechanic who does his own work, will tinker to get last bit of performance out of a sled without major modding (pipes, porting), and I ride fast always, sometimes easy,but usually very aggressive.I love banging ditches, my rides are usually 100-150 mile a day, but I also want to be first at end of field races.I consider myself a Polaris man and have rode Polaris triples since 1989 and the X2 has got race engineering and definite bragging rights around here, but I think Cat has some great ideas in the F7, and I've heard they're very fast and nimble
OK FOLKS. WHICH SLED DO I BUY?

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
buy them both...lol...they are both good sleds, a plus for the F7 is the EFI

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh how I wish I could buy both, but pocketbook wouldn't survive that. I had better only get one at a time, but your advice was great.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
i am biased towards the polaris now cuz i purchased a 04 X2 600...but b4 this year i was biased towards AC...EFI is good tho except for the mods, gets kinda hard to tune it correctly, and expensive at that....but the firecats are supposedly narrow and feel long, ask pman how he likes his Pro X

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
I have a feeling the common answer here will be buy the PRO X2. They are both good sleds, however the F-Cat is a second year sled and the PRO X2 is still the tried and true model based on the Edge Series from Polaris. There were lots of recalls on the F-Cat last year... If you like to tinker you wont want the EFI. Just My Opinion...

·
Registered
133 Posts
I would get the F7 without a doubt, i like the pro x but its old tech vs. new, the firecat has a lot more power, heck you should be comparing the pro x 800 to the F7 and the sno pro package is hard to beat if you like to hit bumps hard. Plus with polaris likely coming out with new sleds next year an 04 polaris will loose its "newness" really quick.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
You can't loose, great sled either way. The F7 I think has the advantage in the HP department. They flat rip for a 700. Stock HP is 140 for the F7 as noted above closer to the 800 polaris. I am a biased source as my sig notes but either sled should rock.

·
Registered
608 Posts
This is something to consider, which is the better dealer? I would rather deal with someone who treats me good even if the sled lacks a little.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
Originally posted by indytriple
[br]I would get the F7 without a doubt, i like the pro x but its old tech vs. new, the firecat has a lot more power, heck you should be comparing the pro x 800 to the F7 and the sno pro package is hard to beat if you like to hit bumps hard. Plus with polaris likely coming out with new sleds next year an 04 polaris will loose its "newness" really quick.
old tech on Pro Xs? i believe the Pro X came out last year, along with the firecats, the Pro X is all new technology compared to the Edge...read up on it instead of going by looks

·
Administrator
13,095 Posts
Everyone knows what I will say, but I'm 100% biased so I'm just gonna post this message...

[:D]

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
lol @ me having name of ACG and defending polaris...maybe i should change it sometime...

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Originally posted by Darkstar
[br] There were lots of recalls on the F-Cat last year...
10 service bulletins to be exact [:D]

·
Registered
133 Posts
When you consider the new sleds out today the pro x is old tech. Its the oldest of the 3 race chassis and has been availale to consumers for 3 seasons. Don't get me wrong its a great sled, but if you don't care what brand of sled to ride for the money the cat is the better buy. The pro x has some nice features like PERC, DET and the walker evans shocks but the cat is lighter, faster and from the looks of the X2 a warmer ride. The F7 does it all, great ditch banger and if you've never seen one race on the lake you will be extremely suprised, the only sled last year stock that could beat the F7 consistantly was the zr900 and its a very close race with the zr900 not going by until around 90mph. Don't plan on a 700 pol even being close on the lake.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Yep and when compared to "new tech" that requires Piston Updates, Oil Pump Fix, New Pull Cords etc.... The better buy is reliabiltiy... and trust me I have seen Poo 600's keep up with the firecat... Notice I didnt say BEAT, I said KEEP UP WITH. Ski Lift is another issue with the firecat. It is a nice sled but it isnt what everyone thinks it is. The only reason i am replying is I am tired of people saying the POO is OLD TECH... come on they all keep chassis around for years... Now when the wedge chassis hit 10 years on the market it was ok to say OLD TECH... BOTTOM LINE: they are both good sleds, I would buy based on dealer. Actually now that i think about it the F-Cat is old tech too. They have had it for almost 3 race seasons now ;-)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Lots of new on the F7 this year.
Suspension tweaks, and most of the wrinkles ironed out.
Both are good runners. IMO you can't go wrong with the EFI, 2 pulls to start.
Both sleds are gonna be good runners and if you don't really have any brand loyaly go with the best dealer. Maybe not the best price, but who is going to take care of you tomorrow.

·
Registered
63 Posts
If it were me, I'd get the X2. #1. I wouldn't want to go through another season of service updates if I were a FCat guy. #2. Everybody and their brother will be riding Firecats this year. #3. The X2 just plain LOOKS better.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
As most of you know I ride nothing but cat, I would reccomend cat, but the Fire Cats aren't very good in deep snow, or slush, because of the 13.5 inch wide track, but they are a lot faster than the Polaris 700, but go with the better dealer, one that would treat you better.

·
Registered
119 Posts
We had grass drags here recently (Oct 2, I think)and a pair of F7's kicked almost everyone (modifieds excluded). They looked visibly faster right from the light. On the trouble-side;two local F7's were PDI'd incorrectly last year and puked up their motors almost immediately (poor cooling system bleeding). If you go green get a good dealer. All said, that's where this life-long Yamaha rider is going.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've ridden 2003 models of both and the F-7 was a far better sled than the Pro-X, even with all the service bulletins on the F-7. I'll bet you the 2004 F-7's don't have near the problems the 2003 F-7's had. Go with the F-7 if you hate losing!!!

·
Registered
133 Posts
All first year sleds have issues and the firecat is no different, plus they sold very well so issues are maginfied. Polaris is no better in this department, how about the cdi updates last year. Send your cdi box in wait 3 weeks while your sleds down and your buddies on firecats are riding or ride all year with no power and poor fuel economy

1 - 20 of 26 Posts