Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A number of F7's have had problems piston scuffing which were covered under warrenty. The official Cat answer as to why this was happening had not come. A number of forums had members saying that it was all to do with poor dealer setup, no de-icer, and not warming it up enough. They were not having a problem so it had to be one or more of the three stated above. It kind of pisses you off when you know this is not the issue. You hear the same thing over and over, use de-ice, your jaming the throtle after starting. All we wanted was a statement of what was the cause and possible solution. At long last the following post shead some light.

GLS post copied from Amsnow's Cat Member section this morning:

No, there is no cylinder or piston recall. The engine is sound, and despite comments regarding detuning of the F-7 etc. there is no need for, and will not be any reduction in power for 2004 models. Weve been working steady on identifying the piston seizure problem on some, and not on others. We will have information to dealers very soon on some items to check, and it must be handled through the dealer network. I will go out on a limb here and give you some basic info on this situation. The seizure problem has occurred on some sleds if the coolant temp is high due to poor field cooling conditions. This overheats the cylinder coolant below the exhaust port. If this situation occurs on a sled with low side production fuel tolerance in that RPM area, seizure can occur. If this occurs, it is more likely to occur at lower RPMs 5000-6500 long steady running. Also, we will be notifying dealers to check for a possible coolant passage restriction in the chassis. If this is the case, and water flow is reduced, the seizure problem is more likely. One indication of restricted chassis would be the right hand running board extrusion will warm up, but the left one won't. We are working with the Service dept on a correction as we speak. Thats all I can say at this point other than were going as fast as we can. --gls

The sled runs great and is it fast. Going to give it the 5 day times eight hour test this week.

·
Registered
502 Posts
sounds like a typical cat answer to me!

·
Registered
614 Posts
Hey Tim , where are you riding this week? I'm on holidays and my sled buddies could not make it up, maybe we can meet some where and go for a spin. Plus I might be going to N. bay for a day, just for a look.
Its Sat. 5:45 am, got to go,leaving for Shinning Tree at 8:00 am

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sleddaver: I am meeting Polarisguy - Archie and his buddy Dave here in North Bay Sunday night. Riding Monday and Tuesday if you want to hook up with us. They are here wednesday but not sure what time they are leaving. Call me 476-5869. Had to do a clean up on my backup sled as the son has been riding it. As I said this is my backup sled if the F7 goes down. Just over two feet of snow and calling for more during week.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This may also be part of the puzzle.

Posted by 875cat on HCS forum yesterday.

To all of you that do not believe the F-7 does not have a coolant system problem; The problem lies on a resriction in the FRONT heat exchanger. Not a lean midrange. I have spent hours testing different probe locations and monitoring exhaust temps and spending hours on the phone with some of the biggest aftermarket modifiers, (witch will remain nameless) . Not all sleds are having problems and they burn down in the midrange because of low coolant flow after a long full throttle pull. The pump at low rpms can'not flow enough water through the front exchanger for whatever reason after the engine has been subjected to a heat producing hard run, The water sits in the cylinders and eventually heats up, and causes to much expansion of the piston causing siezure. The second time mine burnt down I had 126 degrees water temp BEFORE the cyl. head and 850 degrees exshaust temp. The f-7 does not have a lean condition under "normal" operating Temps. It might be lean at midrange with a hot cylinder and head. Reprograming the ECU is only a band aid for the real problem! Bad FRONT heat exchangers. I cannot keep from burning mine down and I have all the resources and know how in the world. I also have about 10 people wanting to purchase an f-7 from my Cat dealer and Cat can't give any of the dealers a straight answer! Winter is now at least half over and no call back from Cat?

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
I feel for the people who keep burnin their F7s. You'd think that they would have that all figured out before they shipped em out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts