Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, my newest project is a dynamark lawnmower and im attempting to put a 440cc fan cooled motor from a yamaha exciter in it.
my question is how well do the fan cooled engines work when it is liek 70 degrees or warmer?
i know that i should spend the extra money and go for a liquid cooled polaris triple, but im cheap.. i got the mower and engine w/ clutches for $50(runs too) it was outta a exciter which the guy used to grass drag alot so it has reeds and crap liek that

I know i am insane, but what is your thoughts about the fan cooled and in the summer

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
It should stay cool as long as its jetted right.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Waterboy, if your insane, then i'm insane too...[:D]

I think a 440 fan will do just fine. But i think a lawnmower chassis will be a little scary driving fast with all that HP under the hood.

Here is my kart i just got running last weekend. It also uses a 440 fan and quite honestly it has too much power for such a small vehicle. I'd only run it for 5-10 minutes at a time, but by then the 1 gallon fuel tank was already empty.

http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/images/users/megaman/side2.JPG

http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/images/users/megaman/rear_left.JPG

I installed a used 34mm Mikuni carb and fuel pump and new points and now it runs just like it normally should. Sure, it gets hot after running WOT for 5 minutes, but i just shut it down and let it cool awhile, and go again.

This thing is stupid fast! I have Honda 250 3-wheeler that tops out around 40 mph (est.) and the go-kart was pulling away from me like i was standing still! Needless to say, i was dodging flying rocks and pebbles the whole time i was following it. [B)] Only the rear/left wheel gets all the power, so it spins relentlessly at any speed. I even took it out to a paved road, hammered the throttle and watched as the rear tire did a smokey burnout while trying to get traction. LOL! It's rediculous, but very fun.

Lots of things broke too, but i don't need to rammble on about that. It did blow a belt, so that was a surprise.

·
Registered
142 Posts
WOW!/snofan/../images/users/F6 Sno Pro/awesome_dude.gif

I shoulda seen this thread beforeI got rid of my old Blizzard 5500. I coulda built me a little screamer too.

Bet that thing is a lot of fun.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, im planning on flipping the front spindles, so i got about 2" clearance, and a lower rear axel, probly a wheeler swingarm or just a live axel....so its not gonna be tippy, just insanely fast.....perfect for an insane person like me

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Cool Megaman- you must be a big kid at heart just like me[:D] I love playing around with toys like that. I wish I had more time.... If you figure out how fast she goes I would love to find out. My dad and I tried unsuccessfully to put a yamaha 292 (GP I think) one lunger engine in a go kart. (store bought one from Coast to Coast hardware store) The engine seized up from getting too hot and using ethanol. Found out the hard way when ethanol came out in the early 80' that air cooled engines did not like it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts