Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would like to hear from those who have Polaris Fan cooled sleds, and how many miles on them. Can a fan cooled sled go as long as a liquid cooled one before rebuild?--Thanks--Mike

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
I have almost 8,000 miles on one. They have looser tolerances so I beleive they should be able to as long if not longer.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
On the average a fan cooled sled will get more miles than a liquid, if all conditions are equal. You will still wear a fan out faster if you run it like a snow crosser when compared to putting your grandmother on a liquid cooled, which will probably never see half thottle.. It boils down to how rough you are with it, more strain will wear it out quicker. However, like I said, the Polaris fans usually last a good long time. I have seen one old 440 trail (before the 488) that had 11K miles on it without any motor problems. Granted, the fan cooled motor is usually reserved for sleds that attract a "milder" type of cowd, trail/touring, work, youth, that aren't modifying or tinkering to get max HP so this might explain why the average life span is more. If you told me I had to run 10k miles over the arctic and I could choose any sled I wanted I wouldn't even consider a liquid cooled. Just my opinion, anyone have more input?

·
Registered
23 Posts
i had one and it had 8900 miles on it when i sold it to my friend and they put a lot of miles on it when i sold it to them so just take good care of it and it will do fine

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
They will last longer with out rebuilds. and very easy to fix if you make amistake with jetting or something.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
we have a fan cat, and dont like it at all, it seemd it only has power when its cold (duh),but ya it has like 6000miles and still going good

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Fans actually last longer because the are jetted richer (richer means more lubrication for the engine) and because they are almost impossible to overheat.
Its not at all uncommon to see a fan-cooled sled with 15,000-20,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Originally posted by Octane
[br]Fans actually last longer because the are jetted richer (richer means more lubrication for the engine) and because they are almost impossible to overheat.
Its not at all uncommon to see a fan-cooled sled with 15,000-20,000 miles on it.
Yeah polaris was gettign hit with the emitions police on there newer fans, the 550 or whatever, so they had to lean them down. To keep from melting them they had to Nickicil coat the cylinders. Those engines are such P.O.S. i dont know why use them for rentals other than their cheap to buy and fix

·
Registered
840 Posts
Not only that, fan cooled doesnt turn as many RPMs like the way l/c runs. I agree with above posts. As long as they are well taken care of, like Octane stated, You might see some with 15k - 20k miles on them. WL.

·
Registered
230 Posts
My sled went last year at the end of the season around 7800 miles. The rings wore and one escaped out the exhaust port on the PTO end. Like stated the way you drive it means alot and thats what cut mine short.

My mom had an 04 trail touring with a lean spot in midrange, lost 3 sets of pistons during less than 100 miles.

They are tough motors and can take quite a beating which makes them perfect rentals, gas and go!

·
Registered
453 Posts
I did a little bit of tinkering with my 488 before I really knew any better...I cut the air box and didn't do any jetting work to it. I only got 5500 miles on it before it cracked a piston skirt. However, it always ran and got me back home...
PS- Nice to meet you guys. I've been reading for quite some time on all the very usefull information you guys post; thank you very much!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts