Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im thinking of doing a motor swap on a sled i just picked up and the motor is in bad shape however i have another motor alot larger 340-580 so im trying to figure out if it is posible to mount a small radiator under the hood instead of finding a donor sled with all the cooler rails? has anyone heard of this or even have any pics of this done? thanks for any help!

·
Super Moderator
11,281 Posts
You would need a fairly large radiator with a fan in order to cool it. With exchangers it uses the snow to keep them cool,if you ride aways with no snow it doesn't take long for the sled to heat up. With a radiator under the hood you will not have the snow to cool it down and their will not be enough cold airflow under the hot hood to do any heat exchanging. Sleds have heat exchangers instead of radiators for a reason.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
classicfanatic said:
im thinking of doing a motor swap on a sled i just picked up and the motor is in bad shape however i have another motor alot larger 340-580 so im trying to figure out if it is posible to mount a small radiator under the hood instead of finding a donor sled with all the cooler rails? has anyone heard of this or even have any pics of this done? thanks for any help!
Recipe for failure.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Well my idea for cooling the street legal sled i would like to build once i find the right sled and an efficient way of keeping slides on the thing is to find a motorcycle radiator at a junk yard, cut a hole in the bottom of the bellypan under the pipe, and put an electric fan on it to pull air through when not moving, then route the lines on the clutch side of the sled and wrap them in heat tape to keep the pipe from heating them up.

·
Super Moderator
11,281 Posts
Dekk70 said:
cut a hole in the bottom of the bellypan under the pipe, and put an electric fan on it to pull air through when not moving.

This would maybe work for a on road application. But for sled use the first hard drift,rock, or stick that you hit will have coolent spraying everywhere except into the motor.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Ive often thought about doin that with my rx1 byt its alot harder than you may think and there's alot if rom under that his to mount a large radiator with fans

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i think i might be able to find one or 2 coolant rails so i might do a little of both that way no matter how warm or how much snow im in it will still cool, especially around here come late febuary the snow turns to slush in so i think ill do both.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I don't think just coolant rails will be enough. I think the bulkhead cooler does the majority of the cooling.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I know someone on here has done this before, gimme a second I'll try to dig it up.
Here is one, but it's not the one I'm thinking of:
http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/forum/topic/43930-motor-swap-start-finish

Here's another: http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/forum/topic/34091-my-sled-homemade-sks-fan-liquid
Photos don't load in the thread, but they're in his gallery: http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/gallery/indy440/display.aspx?page=5
(bottom of page 5)

·
Registered
308 Posts
If you can find a place to put a big enough radiator it will be possible, I have a buddy that put a big radiator in his cat and ran it at the dunes up at silver lake. It actually ran pretty cool.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok thanks polaris_parts_mn those old posts really gave me some good ideas of how to do this right! i might even actually take pics of this build cause its going to be interesting!!

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I would enjoy seeing a build thread for this.
On the one, it looks like the guy took the running board coolers from a mid '90s Indy and cut the vertical tabs off and stuck them up in the tunnel so the track is throwing the snow on them, instead of snow only touching them in deeper powder like they would located underneath the running board. I don't think either of them said anything about a front heat exchanger in the bulkhead though.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
if you dont have the money or the time id just find a liquid cooled chasiss to throw your guts into it. or find a sled junk year and tae the cooler guts off it and apply to yours. good luck

1 - 14 of 14 Posts