Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think about fan cooled engines for mountain riding. I've noticed that almost every manufacturer makes one, like the Polaris Trail RMK or the AC Mountain Cat 570. Only curious, I have no real interest in one.

G

·
0 Posts
The summit 550 fan looks like a real nice sled. It comes with a 136" track 1.5" lugs. The lugs are deeper than the Cat or Polaris. It is also 20 pounds lighter than either one of them. I think the weight on the summit is about 145 lbs. Pretty light. I considered one for my self and then got a good deal on a 2002 layover 700 summit. I rode fanners up until this year. Never had a problem with any of them. The last one had over 10,000 miles with nothing being done to it.

Dennis

Dennis

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
145 lbs.??? My DIRT bike weighs a hundred pounds more than that. [:)]

It sure would be cool to have a sled that light though, but I believe that was just a typo. Oh well.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I rode a Trail Indy out in the mountains a number of years ago. The sled worked just fine. It went through the snow without any problems. It wasn't the fastest. On the trail it would only top out about 65 mph but I didn't think that was too bad. I could climb anything everybody else climbed as long as there was a track going up first. I do have a 700 RMK now and that thing is really a blast when you get it in 5 ft. of snow in the mountains. Riley

·
Registered
243 Posts
Fan cooled sleds work great in the mountains. You can work the machine and climb good. Unfortunatly the more popular way is to get an 800LC and pin it until you are up over the top. There is no substitute for power, but it is a totally different snowmobiling experience.

G

·
0 Posts
OOPS.
I should have said 445 lbs. not 145. Yes, I would like to ride a 145 LB sled also.

Dennis

G

·
0 Posts
I am afraid that after riding the 900 1M, you will be a little disapointed with the power. They have good power but remember they are all around 550cc. Fanners don't turn up the RPM like the liquids either. 7,500rpm is about it. These are a great first time buyer or rider sled. Low price, and light weight. Great for wife and family. They won't be the straight up power over the top of the biggest hill you can find type of sled but for all around riding in the powder, they are alot of fun for the money.

Dennis

·
Registered
243 Posts
about 60 hp, but it's light and you can sidehill instead of shooting straight up a mountain. I guess that's your only choice because you can't shoot straight up usually.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
i dont know about fan cooled sleds for poweder/mountain riding... the snow getting in the intake, and eventually getting to the fan cant be all that good for it. Fans arn't all that powerfule either!

·
Registered
957 Posts
I agree with the post above mine..... I can't see a Fan being that good in the steeps and deeps due to the decreased power of a fan cooled and the potenetial for overheating from all that powder packing the front intakes and stopping or slowing the air flow.

·
Registered
328 Posts
IMO, nothing beats a decent liquid, it may weigh a little more, but thats not a huge deal. The Liquid will get you out of more jams, granted you may get into other jams that are worse though. Also, with a liquid you can side hill on a steeper angle to the hill. Also, some hills, its too tight to sidehill and your only option is to go straight up and over, which is where a liquid is also nice.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts