Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Most simple way is a Clutch Kit from EPI. They are $180 but very much worth the money. There really isnt any other options for an Indy 500. You need to provide us with where you want it to go faster (acceleration or top-speed) and what kind of riding you do. Hope this helps but you asked the most generic question possible, hard to help you.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Yep, hes right on the money. Clutching is the most effective change dollar for dollar. Also, if you are looking for more acceleration and don't mind sacraficing a little top end, or the opposite, then changing gearing is cheap also. But it is give or take, gain bottom you loose on top, gain on top loose on bootom.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
^^^ what nickj said. but dont gear for top speed to much you always need low end for powder and to help get unstuck.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
for your 500 I would not gear up. if you are topping out around 80 ish that is about all you are going to pull no matter how much gearing you pull. it is a 500. a clutch kit will really wake it up down low and get up to speed a lot better. after that it is money out the door since you can spend a ton and not make much gains. and never get it out of the sled.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Ghost ride it off a cliff. I'm about to do that with mine, I'll get those speed numbers back to you and see if it's worth it or not.(Useless post I know but it's been one of those days, Sorry)!

·
Registered
700 Posts
i dropped a tooth on my lower gear and didnt like it. Instead i dropped one on the top. The indys pretty much go 85 and thats it. It takes a lot of work to get them faster than that. If you drop a tooth on the top you will still go 80-85, you'll just get there faster. Milling the head is cheap power as well. I milled mine down and like it. only cost was a new head gasket. If you dont want to do that, find out if your sled uses the fiber head gasket. If it does then put the metal one off the newer indy 500s on it. its way thiner and will give you a couple horses with no modifications. Proper clutching will surprise you with a lot more acceleration you can feel. Buyin the parts is way cheaper than buyin the kit. A good universal clutch setup for your sled is a 40/36 or 40/32 helix with an SLP black 40/66 rate secondary spring. EPI helixes are way cheaper than SLP but not teflon coated which isnt that big o deal.
So $30 EPI helix, $18 spring, and a $20 20tooth top gear should make you happy.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I do recall a few girls from my college days that........ahh never mind!
Originally posted by Memphis
[br]Basically fast and cheap are two words that don't get used together.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i think if i can get my dad into letting me sale it im mite get a new kingquad, i know u will all dis like me now. well the quad tow the sled home a lot more than the sled did

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.