Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What was you favorite snowmobile company and or snowmobile in the 60-70's. John deere, Ski-doo, Arctic, Polaris, or etc

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
All of them.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I'm a die-hard Polaris fan. But the last year or so I've grown to like all the old school stuff. An opposed twin engine? A rotary in a sled? A 4 cyl free air? A twin-tracked-cockpit style sled? An old Sno-Pro, or the old Mercs? How cool are those - they made some wicked stuff back in the day. I'm thinking of picking up an old super-speedway. Thing's ugly as heck, and it has a "tuned" kohler free air 440 in it. With a 96 inch track! One guy who has one told me it's the scariest thing he's ever ridden! Walking through an old sled salvage yard really gets me thinking. I'm only 26 and really appreciate the older stuff. Without it, we wouldn't have IFS or a reliable sled. They tried everything back then. I'm currently doing a resto on an old TXL-Indy - the ORIGINAL indy (for the most part). Next year I'm building a Raider with a liquid centurion engine in it. With heat and a radio. For those really cold days that the girlfriend wants to come with. Most of the stuff is a dime a dozen
and really easy to get into. Eventually when I get settled with my personal life I'd really like to get into the Vintage Racing. It's really getting popular though - and of course along with that is that the cost goes up.

Bryan

·
Registered
363 Posts
i love all old ski-doo's and moto's i love the old olympique's 300's i have a 1972 ski-doo olympique 300 i luv it so much ski-doo all the WAY![:)][:D][8D]

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Gotta go with Hog on that one Brut!! Or maybe the ol Vikings

·
Registered
1 Posts
This may date me, but AI grew up on a Massey Ferguson Ski Whiz, John Deer Spitfire and a Rupp 440 Nitro!! Scary as hell to drive, or should I say hang on!!

·
Registered
104 Posts
When I was little my brother got Snow-Goer mag, and I literally dreamed of a John Deere Liquifire, and a Polaris TX-L 340. Now I own both![8D]I also like Cat, Doo. Merc, Rupp, Scorpion, Kawi, Sno-Jet, Speedway, Yamaha, and too many too list.[attachment=50282] Keep em Comin!!![attachment=50281]

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
[:D] Well I Like All Models Of Ski-doo In The 70-80 Range And What I Would Love The Most Is A 250 Twin Fan Cooled Elan SS Im In Love With Them And To Actually Own One Would Be My Dream As Of Now I Guess Ill Stick To The Old 71 Olympique Single 300 [8D]

·
Registered
2 Posts
I grew up in the late 60's and 70's and rode an early 70's Cheetah right thru my high school years. Now I have 3 srx's, a 75 gpx, a 7500 plus mod skidoo, 87 vmax 540, 3 merc sno twisters a trail twister one tx 440 and 2 90's yamaha's. I have always had a love for the vintage sleds and they are fun to race as they still beat the new stuff hands down.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Originally posted by ARCTIC97
[br]When I was little my brother got Snow-Goer mag, and I literally dreamed of a John Deere Liquifire, and a Polaris TX-L 340. Now I own both!
That is funny. My dad had Cats and Polaris. In the early '80s he had a TX-L 340 and had a lot of trouble with it. My mom says he used to say all the time, "If only I had a John Deere." Then, he had a '84 Liquifire for a while. I wish I had that sled now. I remember selling it at Haydays when I was a kid. $900, if I remember right. Then he went back to Polaris and bought a '85 Indy 600.

I think my favorites are the same: TX-L and Liquifire.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Originally posted by Bobinwi
[br]ill take the merc snow twisters and trail twisters any day
agreed, I wish I hadnt sold my Trail Twister, for a 340, it had alot of power. If only the parts werent so damn expensive and hard to come by.

·
Registered
539 Posts
image enterprises in WI bought out all the mercury snowmobiles parts and inventory back when Merc closed the doors. they still have a ton of stuff and reproduce the oem stuff they don't have. whatever you need for a merc, Image has it.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts