Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, just wondering if anyone knows of a link that talks about repairing cracked/damaged hoods. I had a little misshap last season and have a couple of minor to midrange cracks on the right side of my hood I would like to repair before the snow flys this year. A link or some sort of reference guide would be excellent. I'll attach some pictures of the damage.
/snofan/../images/users/hooha311/damage.JPG

/snofan/../images/users/hooha311/damage2.JPG

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Damn! I don't know of any websites....but Snow Tech's latest issue(october/november) has a great article on fiberglass repair.. You might beable to check there website, it could be on there as well(www.snowtech.com). Good luck!

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
I would use the Frankstein method... Drill holes and zip tie. Chicks dig scars :)

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey, Thanks alot, I'll have to run out and see if I can pick up a copy. Yeah I know. I attempted water skipping for the first time and made it all the way across, but ended up sliding into a tree sideways. Oh well, its a tough lesson to learn about riding beyond your ability, I'm lucky thats all that happened actually 20 minutes after I did that, I got my finger caught between the rear bumper of a sled and the tailgate of a truck and cut the tip off and spent the next 8 hours in the ER getting it re-attached) I wish I would have had pics of that.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, I ran out and picked up a Snowtech magazine, attached is the info for anyone else who needs the info.

Thanks!

/snofan/../images/users/hooha311/scan1.JPG
/snofan/../images/users/hooha311/scan2.JPG

·
Registered
206 Posts
I repaired the hood of my indy this summer by taking off the foam on the inside, putting masking tape on the outside to prevent seapage, and just fiberglassing the inside to reenforce the cracks. Ended up looking pretty good, stronger than before. Haven't read the above article, but that's what worked for me.

·
Registered
141 Posts
ya me also on my 96 ultra just taped outside redid inside but your cracks are alot!!! biger than mine were but if you can get away from the outside it will help in not needing to repaint the hole hood because your hood is pretty faded but it is all up to you its your sled (also I cut out two of the air vents on my right side to get more air flow it looks great and is more durable than before I did it

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Yeah, I would just fiberglass the inside with alot of matting, then just put a little of the residue on the outside, it will dry clear and should hold fine.

·
Registered
777 Posts
my daughter rolled my xlt,was worse then yours,as mentioned, just fiberglass the inside and get touch up paint and paint the outside in the crack.almost invisible.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
HooHa311 the trick to fiberglassing the old Indy hood is to grind the hell out of it on the inside. Use a grinder with a 36 grit grinding disk. Rough it up really good. I fiberglassed my old Trail Indy hood and the spot I fixed was the strongest part of the whole hood. Riley

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, here she is, what do you think?

/snofan/../images/users/hooha311/P1010058.JPG

/snofan/../images/users/hooha311/P1010059.JPG

/snofan/../images/users/hooha311/P1010060.JPG

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
GREAT JOB HOOHA311, BTW i did try replying to you about the SLP ski's but your email bounced back on me.

·
Registered
63 Posts
looks great. nice job

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
WOAH!!! is all i have to say, NICE JOB!

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
WOW!!! i cant even tell it was broken...if i ever F- up the hood on X2, i know where its going too [:D]

GOOD JOB

1 - 20 of 22 Posts