Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 95 xlt special, and it needs to be rebuilt due to a seized piston, so I ordered parts for it and I'm ready to install the piston and rings. I was wondering about the installation process? I've done it before, its just that Its been a long time since I worked on engines. What agent works best for honing the cylinders out (mirror scratches), and when installing the piston and rings into the block, do I use oil, or can I just install them dry, then add an oil agent later[?]

·
Registered
172 Posts
For $25, I have the machine shop hone the cylinder. That's Anchorage prices, not sure if you have access to a machine shop out there in Bethel. If you need assistance reaching them, PM me & I'll help you getting your parts to and from them.
I've had 4 engines bored by them, and it's always been a great experience & they have everything you need in stock for all of my projects so far.
As far as lube, I've just used what's available for standard oil, like 10-40 to lube it.
After everything's together, I always spray the hell out of the cylinders with WD-40 through the spark plug hole to make sure that I don't have a few dry runs of that tight fitting ring & cylinder.

·
Registered
608 Posts
If you have a hone, then just lightly hone in a up and down motion. Also make sure you change the circlips as well and install them in either the 6 or 12 o-clock position. Lube the piston, bearings and cylinder up before assembly. I use WD 40 on the cylinders since it will burn off clean. If you need more help, just ask.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Heres a thought what lubricates your engine when it is running? Oil right, then guess what we use when we put are engines togeher 2 stroke oil, on the cyls. the walls the bearings everywhere there is going to be wear on a dry or new engine. Just one idea to think about because you must have oil right?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Night Train, thanks for your input, and thanks for your generosity with the pick-up and stuff, but I have the parts, hone and the appropriate equipment to do the job
Originally posted by NightTrain
[br]For $25, I have the machine shop hone the cylinder. That's Anchorage prices, not sure if you have access to a machine shop out there in Bethel. If you need assistance reaching them, PM me & I'll help you getting your parts to and from them.
I've had 4 engines bored by them, and it's always been a great experience & they have everything you need in stock for all of my projects so far.
As far as lube, I've just used what's available for standard oil, like 10-40 to lube it.
After everything's together, I always spray the hell out of the cylinders with WD-40 through the spark plug hole to make sure that I don't have a few dry runs of that tight fitting ring & cylinder.

·
Registered
172 Posts
No problem.
We've always installed them dry & added a little oil after putting the head on. Then spun the engine over slowly to get the oil over the entire cylinder.
There's other things to do from that point til you're ready to fire her up, so that's why we spray the cylinders down with some WD-40 immediately prior to starting it.
Another thing, don't forget to synch your oil injector!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts