Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i got my clutch parts, i know how to work on the primary clutch but i have no clue where to start on the secondary clutch. i have limited tools, so a clutch compressor is out of the question. how can i take my secondary clutch apart and back together with basic tools? any suggestions? i'd like to get this done before there is snow.

Edit-what hole does the secondary spring supposed to be? i have a R-49 helix with a stock secondary spring. i'm using Kraven's setup.

·
Administrator
13,095 Posts
If you don't know what you're doing, get help from someone who does. Explaining things like this over the internet is a good way to have springs and parts flying in all directions. Or taking a helix in the chin.

That's my advice.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
we all learn from our mistakes. what i wanted to know was what hole is the spring supposed to be? and thanks for the caution.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
^^very informative video, crappy quality though (looks like you can download the original for better quality?)
The white gloves must be part of the mime personality haha

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i spoke to a mechanic and he told me that i'm supposed to turn the sheaves 1/4 turn, push the helix in and take the snap ring off. then it'll come apart. what i am wondering is which hole to put the secondary spring. then to reassemble the clutch, i need to turn it a full turn, and push the helix in and put the snap ring back. sounds easy enough. as stated before, i'd like to know which hole to put the spring in. i'm working on the clutches as i type.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
shady800x said:
i spoke to a mechanic and he told me that i'm supposed to turn the sheaves 1/4 turn, push the helix in and take the snap ring off. then it'll come apart. what i am wondering is which hole to put the secondary spring. then to reassemble the clutch, i need to turn it a full turn, and push the helix in and [highlight=yellow]put the snap ring back[/highlight=yellow]. sounds easy enough. as stated before, i'd like to know which hole to put the spring in. i'm working on the clutches as i type.
Stock position is #2 hole for the spring. Having it tighter (#3 or 4 holes) gives better backshifting, but it's pretty rough on the belt.

Before putting the snap ring back on, line up the key ways by rotating the bottom sheave. Stick the key in the slot and push it down below the groove for the snap ring.

Also, the inside curve of the snap ring has a chamfered edge, make sure the the chamfer faces the Helix.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Which hole depends on the tension you want... I'd probably just put it in the one it came out of.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
If you don't remember which hole the spring was in, look for marks where it looks like it might of been in before. You'll learn how to assemble/reassemble clutches if you do it right the first time. A clutch compressor would help but if you have a buddy that can hold the sheaves together while you unscrew the bolts, that get's it done too. I don't have any friends[thumb](JK)so I just use my foot and weight to get it done myself. What new parts are you trying to install?

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the help guys, took a snack break. i have a r-49 helix, the replacement buttons, and a new stock spring. man that guy makes it look so easy in that vid. i'll probly do what you guys told me to do about the hole. in the 2nd hole. i have a brand new primary clutch with 10-66 weights and a almond with red stripe spring. man that spring was pretty hard to compress. had to use my weight on it, but it's on there. gonna get started with the secondary. wish me luck!

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
shady800x said:
thanks for the help guys, took a snack break. i have a r-49 helix, the replacement buttons, and a new stock spring. man that guy makes it look so easy in that vid. i'll probly do what you guys told me to do about the hole. in the 2nd hole. i have a brand new primary clutch with 10-66 weights and a almond with red stripe spring. man that spring was pretty hard to compress. had to use my weight on it, but it's on there. gonna get started with the secondary. wish me luck!
Good Luck. Haha, I did'nt realize you were from Alaska. I've never heard of Kipnuk though. It must be in the southwest.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i got both clutches on there. working on the secondary clutch was easier than i thought it be. i forgot to put in one washer on there so i'll finish it up tomorrow. thanks again for the help fanatics!

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
will_5 said:
shady800x said:
Good Luck. Haha, I did'nt realize you were from Alaska. I've never heard of Kipnuk though. It must be in the southwest.
lol thanks. yea i'm from Alaska. the town is located southwest of Bethel. you probly know where bethel is?

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i have the button secondary

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Polaris_Parts_MN said:
^^very informative video, crappy quality though (looks like you can download the original for better quality?)
Haha, thats my video, the first one I made with my crappy camera, I was lucky to get it made and on the site! And I did it in my apartment living room, so the gloves were to help me keep my carpet clean! haha I just hope it helps someone. And yes, the original is much better quality, when I posted it here it got all pixilated and crappy.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
dtmmil said:
Polaris_Parts_MN said:
Haha, thats my video, the first one I made with my crappy camera, I was lucky to get it made and on the site! And I did it in my apartment living room, so the gloves were to help me keep my carpet clean! haha I just hope it helps someone. And yes, the original is much better quality, when I posted it here it got all pixilated and crappy.
that vid was very helpful. thanks for taking the time to make and upload it. made it look so easy. as a matter of fact, it's very simple. again thanks!

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
shady800x said:
will_5 said:
shady800x said:
lol thanks. yea i'm from Alaska. the town is located southwest of Bethel. you probly know where bethel is?
Uh-huh. I've heard it's a s****y town[beatup]

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yea, bethel is very s***y boring and depressing. always some drama over there.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts