Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
9,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The stats:

CPU - Intel QX9650 Core2 Quad Extreme - unlocked (3ghz overclockable to 4ghz)
cooler - Zalman CNPS9500AT - 6 pipe
mobo - Asus P5N-D 750i
RAM - 4GB Corsair XMS PC6400 DDR2
GPU - EVGA Geforce GTS250 1GB DDR3 (sli capable)
HDD - Hitachi Deathstar 1TB 7200rpm sata3g 32mb

Think this'll do some word processing?

Oh yeah...

And if your pc has got some horsepower, here's an amazing collection of free screensavers!!!!

http://reallyslick.com/downloads.html

I prefer the hyperspace.

· Registered
9,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some of my EFI hacking and programming stuff requires real DOS so I split the drive in half and installed xp procorp 32 on fat32/DOS7, and I'm working on setting up Win7/64 as dual boot in the other partition.

· Registered
145 Posts
thats some sweet horsepower.

I'm running a hand-me-down diagnostic imaging workstation, Not a gaming rig, but a powerhouse in its own right.

Highlights:
2x dual core xeon processors
6gb ram
quadro fx 4800 1.5gb memory
2x 146gb ultra 320 scsi drives striped

· Registered
4,063 Posts
I run Windows 7 32 bit dual booted with Linux, with the right tools Linux is fun.

I had to remove some RAM before my W7 side of things would randomly freeze and after a quick google search that was the culprit.

· Registered
9,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
srx_600 said:
I run Windows 7 32 bit dual booted with Linux, with the right tools Linux is fun.

I had to remove some RAM before my W7 side of things would randomly freeze and after a quick google search that was the culprit.
That would be a weird issue to chase down for sure.

I'd love to take the time to learn linux. But then again, I've been saying that for 10 years.. Gives me the impression it could be a while. [thumb]

stormy - in english - I put together a serious computer, that's faster than all the other computers in my house combined, including my zeon server. And, with just a few more components is capable of being a hardcore gaming rig that would put the ps3/xbox3 to shame. Except that I'm not really into gaming so I saved a few hundred bucks and I didn't put them in.

· Registered
9,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
birtchy13 said:

I'm running a hand-me-down diagnostic imaging workstation, Not a gaming rig, but a powerhouse in its own right.

Highlights:
6gb ram
Yeah, you aren't shitting, that is quite the powerhouse for a hand-me-down.. If I had run across something like that, I wouldn't have sunk $800 into building this. (since I'm not really into gaming)

But the last box I built (AMD-800, shuttle AI-71 mobo, ATI rage-pro-32, twin seagate 120's, and 512mb pc-100) lasted me 10 years with only a few part failures, (1 hdd, 1 mobo when the kids downloaded Chernobyl, 1 ram stick, and 3 CPU fans) and I'm hoping for 10 out of this one as well. Actually the old one ain't going away either, it's just going down to the barn where it no longer needs to run anti-virus and firewall software, just play mp3's and view sled manual pdf's on my old 22" CRT.

sTOrMy96 said:
sweet.
i just use my laptop for everything. never gave me any problems. all i know about it is it's a toshiba and it has a centrino duo thing in it lol
What do your parents do for work? You have more toys than any other teenager I've ever heard of...

· Registered
9,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
arcticcatmatt said:
That lattice screen saver is awesome! Hope I didn't just put spyware on my machine.

Running my new laptop.. had no problem with all those screen savers (one gave me an error). All played smooth
No, they're all clean... I've been using them for 9 months at work.

They were written by a math geek simply wanting to do something creative. When you think about the math functions that went into creating them, they are really amazing.

And, of course, you need a fairly speedy CPU to run them.. Each of the screensavers also has settings that completely change the character of them.

· Registered
9,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, after getting the new pc setup, a driver update went bad, and took it down for a couple days (constant blue screens), requiring me to use the old 800 again..

HOLY SHIT!!!! It's like going from a Lamborghini to a effing Pinto..

Well, it's back!! I didn't have the time to do it myself so I had my buddy who's unemployed, wipe it completely clean, re-partition the drive, and start over.

All I can say is, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... This thing is friggin' fast!!

· Registered
9,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It was either either the nvidia chipset driver or the nvidia video driver. I updated them both at the same time and afterward it lasted all of 12 minutes before the first bluescreen..

Of course, frigging nvidia has the super PITA drivers, so that you cannot just uninstall them they have their own driver uninstaller you have to download and use. But even using that wouldn't let me fix the issue.

It was IRQ conflicting with my file system, so it would run just fine till I moved a few gig worth of files then BSOD..

After reformatting and reinstalling we filled and erased the file partition twice (totalling ~1.5T of files) and no mo BSOD... (that actually happens fairly quickly with a decent gig-e network)

My buddy says it was because the XP install disk I used has SP3 slipstreamed, and the original drivers never loaded correctly and it just used winbloz drivers. So when I upgraded them it caused a conflict. When we reinstalled, we used a XP CD with SP2, then installed the drivers and loaded sp3 afterward.

Beats me, that's deeper than I know computers.. Crankin now tho.. [thumb]

And with the dual monitor setup, I hook the second monitor to my 32" LCD TV here in the back room, and hook the rear speakers to my amp, and whatever I grab off the net I can watch pretty darn easy.. Even the hi-res stuff on you-tube looks decent if it was formatted right before uploading.

I'm a happy camper, it's the second best $800 I ever spent. (the best $800 I ever spent, was buying the Storm that got me back into sledding!!)

· Administrator
1998 XCR 440
12,835 Posts
Why would you get a core 2 quad when you could've got a core i7? The i7 is much faster and overclocks even better. I have my i7 920 running at 4 ghz with zero issues. Also running that without underclocking the RAM to make it work, RAM is running 1603 mhz.

· Registered
9,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Polaris-Man said:
Why would you get a core 2 quad when you could've got a core i7? The i7 is much faster and overclocks even better. I have my i7 920 running at 4 ghz with zero issues. Also running that without underclocking the RAM to make it work, RAM is running 1603 mhz.
Budget. I saved a thousand bucks by getting the best stuff available, that was a year old...

· Registered
1,552 Posts
sweet.
i gust use my laptop for everything. never gave me any problems. all i know about it is it's a toshiba and it has a centrino duo thing in it lol
Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:
birtchy13 said:

Highlights:
6gb ram
Yeah, you aren't shitting, that is quite the powerhouse for a hand-me-down.. If I had run across something like that, I wouldn't have sunk $800 into building this. (since I'm not really into gaming)

But the last box I built (AMD-800, shuttle AI-71 mobo, ATI rage-pro-32, twin seagate 120's, and 512mb pc-100) lasted me 10 years with only a few part failures, (1 hdd, 1 mobo when the kids downloaded Chernobyl, 1 ram stick, and 3 CPU fans) and I'm hoping for 10 out of this one as well. Actually the old one ain't going away either, it's just going down to the barn where it no longer needs to run anti-virus and firewall software, just play mp3's and view sled manual pdf's on my old 22" CRT.

sTOrMy96 said:
sweet.
i just use my laptop for everything. never gave me any problems. all i know about it is it's a toshiba and it has a centrino duo thing in it lol
[highlight=yellow]What do your parents do for work? You have more toys than any other teenager I've ever heard of...[/highlight=yellow]
my parents dont give me any money. NONE! i work for everything i have. if i want somthing i start stashing money away to get it. i do odd jobs and fix sleds, dirtbikes, lawnmowers, and anything else with a motor. I am constently on craigslist looking for things that need work that i can pick up for cheap. then if i have something that someone wants i will trade. everything that i have i have busted my ball$ for. i dont go and blow my money on stupid things like 99% of teens. so yah any other q's? HAHA

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.