Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a sled that had case reed induction yet had 44 mm or somewhere near that size carb. I know Ski-Doo's always ran some big carbs on their twins, But many of their mid 90's sleds are Rotary valve. The reason I'm looking for this particular setup is to gather a list of parts for my project with my spare 650 motor. In particular I'm looking for carb boot and reed stuffer, and plan to have the cages that I will have welded to the cylinders machined up based on the specs of the reeds off the same machine hopefully. Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
I thought about putting the reed blocks on a PP engine before and the engine guy told me that I would not run too well because of the restriction of the pp. I know you have done your home work. I was told it would perform any better.
Just thinking out loud....

I know psi used to use big carbs like that. Maybe they have some boots for you.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Me and some guys were talking about this on Vintagesleds.com. There's a guy who makes reeds for bike engines that are normally PP. Here's a link to the thread:

http://vintagesleds.com/bs/index.php?topic=2089.0

Very cool idea, I was thinking of undertaking the project myseld in the spring.

Bryan

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by xcr440
[br]I thought about putting the reed blocks on a PP engine before and the engine guy told me that I would not run too well because of the restriction of the pp. I know you have done your home work. I was told it would perform any better.
Just thinking out loud....

I know psi used to use big carbs like that. Maybe they have some boots for you.
Well, I plan on using an 02 650 motor off the RXL's. This should prevent such issues from occuring. The ports on these motors are 44mm. With some slight changes to the exterior side of the port after the reed cage has been welded on it should be pretty effective. So this shouldn't affct the port timing of the motor and should be pretty effective at cleaning up the lowend power due to lack of fuel. I've also considered a reed cage off of a CR250.

But contacting PSI or SLP isn't a bad idea. I know SLP offered an optional reed cage on the 707 kit for the 650.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts