Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to decide on a Finger or Paddle track.
I went riding with a couple of guys with Finger tracks this weekend and they seem to be missing a lot of fingers on the outside edge of the track[:0].

Is this common[?] They really hooked up on hardpack but I think now I am leaning back towards a paddle track.

Anyone have experience with Finger tracks do they hold up[?] Or should I just go with the paddle track[?]

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
What happened to the replies. There weren't a lot but there used to be a couple

I'll read the "READ NOW" section from now on before I post. Thanks for the update.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Well as i said before the replys got erased, My friend has three 4 sleds with 1.2?? tracks. There are two 2000 zl 500s, 2002 zl550, and a 99 zl 600. They all have finger tracks and all of the sleds have between 1500-300 miles on them and just for you i inspected them and there is no damage. Judging by your name i assume you have a 1000 mountaincat. I would leave a paddle track on that. I have seen more damage to paddle tracks than i have to finger ones. It all depends on wheather you drive in deep snow or lower snow conditions.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am going to go with a 2" paddle this summer when I stretch it out to 151 can't see the extra weight 7lb more for the finger track. I know worrying about weight on a T-Cat. But I hope to get it down around 525 by the time I'm done with it.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Anybody see the new "sawtooth" tracks Camoplast.They look mean. Supposedly they are only being put on Yamahas right now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 98 snopro with a predator 1.25 finger track. only put 400 miles on it so far but hooks up insane! great in the mountains too for being a short track. i love mine but its green so that has something to do with my love for it!

·
Registered
567 Posts
a friend of mine has a 2000 montain max with a 151 paddle that used to have a finger track. He hated it in the deep stuff. was ok on the hard packed but they rarely rode on it.

·
Registered
957 Posts
THis is from the guy at Tracks USA:

Generally speaking, the paddle tracks function better in fresh, dry snow. The finger tracks perform better in wet snow, compacted snow, or icy conditions. Generalizing again, conditions on the west side of the Continental Divide seem to favor the finger track, while the paddle track performs better on the east side of the Divide. Washingbton/Oregon snow is "wetter," while Colorado, for example, in general experiences dry, cornflake-type conditions. The newer 2-inch paddle designs found in the 144, 151, and 159, Camoplast part numbers 679-9875, 9876, and 9884 respectively, are "stiffer" than previous paddle designs, so the real difference between these and the finger tracks is not as pronounced.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The reference to the continental divide is like the difference between heading toward the interior of Alaska or heading for the Coastal mountain intertior is cold and makes great dry powder snow while the coastal regions generally have wetter snow. I think I am going with the standard 151x2" camoplast track (Gonna notch it myself) I can pick one up for $500 from a buddy who took it off of his RX-1 when he went to a 159.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts