Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my 91 indy 650 for a long ride saturday about 150 miles, on my way back after staying up their i got about 30 miles and it started bogging really really bad, it wouldnt even move, but we got it moving after playing with it for a while, after getting down the trail i noticed a heavy bogg and smoke coming out of my hood, i opened the hood and saw big flames coming out of the airbox i threw snow on it and got it to stop and we towed it to the road and trailered it home. I dont know what to do or what to check does anyone know what might have gone wrong or how to fix it? Thanks

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh i should add that before this i brought it to the shop to get it checked out and he said the carbeurators were fine(which i doubt now) but he messed around with the clutch and was then engaging at 6500 rpm`s. Anyone know whats wrong i dont dare doing anything until someone gives me some advice on what might have gone wrong. Thanks again

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
i would say You have a fuel leak somewere.check your fuel lines.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
fuel leak or your carbs were spitting lots of fuel into the airbox and maybe backfiring igniting it, thats if the flames were from inside the box. If they were outside near the carbs then a fuel line leak. Either way take enough stuff apart to see what has been damaged.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Yep, I agree with Snow X Treme... I've seen carbs adjusted badly to the point that they were spraying fuel out the front. One backfire through the carbs would be plenty of ignition for that gas soaked foam in the airbox.
Before you fire it up again, I would take the carbs completely apart because I'm sure the engine sucked in soot from the burning plastic & foam. Also check all your lines, and don't forget the carb boots.
I think I'd take it back to the shop ASAP and ask the mechanic why he said the carbs were fine, when obviously they weren't... you might get a little extra help.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Your floats could be sticking in your carbs.and 6500rpm is way to high

1 - 6 of 6 Posts