Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 06' F5 Firecat, that engages @ 5000RPM. So it kinda lunges forward, spinning the track at engagement. After having the sled serviced this year, My first ride I noticed a strange sound almost like the belt slipping, or somthing rubbing at engagement. This sound is coming from the clutch side. As soon as the sled was moving it ran fine with no strange noises. I didn't want to break anything so I brought the sled back to the dealer again. They said they had to "reshim the clutch". Whatever this means i don't know. The next time I used the sled it was fine. But the 2nd ride the noise has come back. This noise is only at engagement, soon as the sled is moving it is gone and the sled is perfect. Does anyone know what the hell this sound is? Anyone else have this problem? Can I use the sled with this noise without hurting anything?, The dealer says I can. I'm kinda pissed cause i've already towed the sled 4hrs, lost a days pay from work to fix this problem. Only to have it return after only 60miles. The sled has 1800 miles on it, and a new belt. Sorry for the long read.....thanks

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
grblackwood said:
I have an 06' F5 Firecat, that engages @ 5000RPM. So it kinda lunges forward, spinning the track at engagement. After having the sled serviced this year, My first ride I noticed a strange sound almost like the belt slipping, or somthing rubbing at engagement. This sound is coming from the clutch side. As soon as the sled was moving it ran fine with no strange noises. I didn't want to break anything so I brought the sled back to the dealer again. They said they had to "reshim the clutch". Whatever this means i don't know. The next time I used the sled it was fine. But the 2nd ride the noise has come back. This noise is only at engagement, soon as the sled is moving it is gone and the sled is perfect. Does anyone know what the hell this sound is? Anyone else have this problem? Can I use the sled with this noise without hurting anything?, The dealer says I can. I'm kinda pissed cause i've already towed the sled 4hrs, lost a days pay from work to fix this problem. Only to have it return after only 60miles. The sled has 1800 miles on it, and a new belt. Sorry for the long read.....thanks
It sounds like your belt is slipping due to your primary engaging at a really high rate. When the dealer re-shimed the clutch(s) that meaned they had to add/subtract shims from your clutch(s) for proper alignment. Some people like their sleds to engage around the 4-5k RPM area for a better "Off the line" throttle. It'll be tough on your sled engaging at that RPM all the time especially if you do a lot of powder/off-trail riding. I know 5000 RPM is'nt stock for your sled so if you don't like it have it fixed.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
will_5 said:
grblackwood said:
It sounds like your belt is slipping due to your primary engaging at a really high rate. When the dealer re-shimed the clutch(s) that meaned they had to add/subtract shims from your clutch(s) for proper alignment. Some people like their sleds to engage around the 4-5k RPM area for a better "Off the line" throttle. It'll be tough on your sled engaging at that RPM all the time especially if you do a lot of powder/off-trail riding. I know 5000 RPM is'nt stock for your sled so if you don't like it have it fixed.
Thanks for the reply, I've owned the sled since brand new and its always engaged at around 5000rpm mark. Why now would this problem arise? Also is this damaging the sled in anyway ?? thanks again.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
honestly to me it sounds like you need a new belt or im not too firmiliar with f cats but there should be some sort of adjustment for the belt ride hieght look into that , clean your clutches with some very fine sand paper or emery cloth and see if the problem persists also check to see if your secondary "floats" see if it moves in an out a little bit

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thewayout440 said:
honestly to me it sounds like you need a new belt or im not too firmiliar with f cats but there should be some sort of adjustment for the belt ride hieght look into that , clean your clutches with some very fine sand paper or emery cloth and see if the problem persists also check to see if your secondary "floats" see if it moves in an out a little bit
Thanks, I thought the same also and bought a new arctic cat belt, after installing it there was no change. What do you mean by "secondary floats" thanks again

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
when the primary clutch goes thoughout the motions the belt will move slightly in turn miss aligning your belt if you take the secondary clutch and wiggle it in and out it should move a little no more than 1/2 inch or so

1 - 6 of 6 Posts