Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Haven't been here in a while, finished the kids toboggan, will post pics when I get the rolls developed,(I never take my digital out in the cold...too risky).

Just got back from a great 2 day trip to Kelvington / Greenwater Lake area, in northern Saskatchewan, great trails, kudos to the Kelvington Trailblazers club for well marked and groomed trails.

It was very cold here, -30 in the mornings, my 500 XC loves the crisp air, very snappy.
But my buddies Firecat had frozen paws for the first few miles each day. It would sputter. We met up with 2 other F7's that were doing the same thing, ne1 else have the same problems.

Any help would be appreciated.

BTW: Not sure if I like riding it, felt very unstable when you put the power to it, must be the 2 inch narrower track, and 150 hp, can't say I'd ever buy one. But lifting the skis at 50 mph, is a real kick though.

Thanx

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
-30 is darn cold, i wonder if those Firecats were jetted for that low of a temp? Or if the EFI has that broad of a range of temp tunability.

Also, i thought the F7's were closer to 140 hp...?
Maybe since the F7's were operating in such cold temps, that the ECU put it in a "safe" studder mode until the pipe was hot enough to allow WOT to protect the engine from any damage. Or perhaps the knock sensor detected detonation or pre-ignition due to a lean condition from the extreme temps and again went in to a stutter mode. I really am not sure, i guess i'm thinking about automobiles too much. I don't even know if the F7 has a knock sensor. I know some newer Yamaha and Polaris have knock sensors. Just my educated guess. :)

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Knock-sensor? possibly. Jetted for it? probably not. That's D*MN cold, so if I were your buddy I'd just expect it. Consider it a trade-off for having close to 150 HP.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Well, the chip in the 99 ZL 600 EFI I used to have was good from -40°F to +40°F, so I would think the newer sleds would be OK for that range, as well. It's possible they aren't, of course... A service manual would clear that question up in a hurry.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by MegaMan
[brMaybe since the F7's were operating in such cold temps, that the ECU put it in a "safe" studder mode until the pipe was hot enough to allow WOT to protect the engine from any damage.
That sounds about right to me MM, I told him to call his dealer about that.
It ran great the rest of the day, even after an hour long campfire, smokies and hot chocolate stop.
I would be more concerned if we didn't run into other F-cats that were doing the same thing.
-30 degrees C is damn cold, thank God for electric sheilds and hand warmers.

Thanks for the info.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts