Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390132678850&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

I saw these on Ebay and I could pick them up because I have relatives in Richmond so I'd save on shipping costs. But I was just curious on how well they would fit/work. I would imagine I would have to do some trimming here and there, is there anything else you could forsee I'd have to do? Would they fucntion well? Thanks for the tips in advance.

·
Super Moderator
11,677 Posts
Fishbones, or any sort of tunnel reinforcement, is an excellent idea on the ZR's. Odds are, you will have to do a little fabricating to get the look/fitment you are after. Any sort of cutter/grinder can make sort work of that though. The only real thing that jumps out about the Fcat ones you posted, is that the rear skid mount locations might not work out right with our stock bolt holes. The ZR running boards narrow so fast that you would have to eliminate alot of material. Having them in hand would really help though...never know until you can eye it up.

I ran a set of Polaris style fishbones on my '98 ZR. One of the single best modifications I made. You can see I had to notch them for my skid mount bolts. I picked them up cheap on ebay years ago.

7017.jpg 7016.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^^I read that post, very interesting. I remeber calling my local Polaris Dealer about Fishbones and they said they don't carry them. I guess the FireCat ones will have to do unless I could somehow make my own.

Does it matter where they mount on the tunnel?

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Doesn't really matter, just wherever they fit. I have some yellow skidoo ones ive been trying to sell forever. I think they would all work for just about any sled, just with a little trimming as Quinlan said

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
I'm not sure if ANY where on the tunnel would work. I think the middle is the best place for them right? or maybe it would be where your feet are the most?? I don't know, Quinlan, you seem to know a lot about them. Correct me on this one. hahahaha

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Weve had 2 98 ZR 600s in the family, both with 200+ lb riders and very saggy running boards, and Id say the best place for the fishbones is right behind the footrest. This is where youre feet are most of the time and seems to take the most abuse. My younger brother (MR.ZR600) is almost 300 lbs and well be doing a very similar modification to his sled this fall. His running boards sag about 1 - 1.5 inches, I hope I can straighten them out.

Good modification, def do it and let us know how it comes out.[thumb]

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tdgbigfoot said:
Doesn't really matter, just wherever they fit. I have some yellow skidoo ones ive been trying to sell forever. I think they would all work for just about any sled, just with a little trimming as Quinlan said
How much would you let them go for? Any pictures?

And I will let you know how it goes!

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
You will want them mounted where your feet are when you stand up. Haydays you will find some no problem I bet.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Another option, is to use a piece of round stock, driven
down the curled edge of the running board. I happened to have an old grounding
rod in the garage, and used it on my 97. was copper coated to minimize rust/corrosion.
Grind the sharp edges and drive it in with a hammer. You may have to put a
floor jack under the running board while installing if they are real sacked out.
I also added the running board supports from a 99 Sno-Pro. Forget what the cost was,
but it was well worth it.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^^I used a stainless steel rod, seems like it will work well, but I want even more flex gone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts