Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rumour has it that Arctic Cat's answer to Yamaha's RX-1 will be a Firecat with the Suzuki GSX-R 1000 motor in it.

http://www.snowgoercanada.com/news/news.php3?newsid=167

NO FOREST FAIRIES(SKIERs)
BURN GAS SLEDS KICK AZZ!

TRIPLE-THE ONLY CHOICE!!!!!
'00 Indy Triumph
'93 XLT 580
'78 Arctic Cat Jag 3000

·
Registered
802 Posts
Sounds cool. Maybe the'll wait and see what people think of the Yamaha's first.

1987 Yamaha Exciter L/C

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Well guys i personally would wait to see if this Polaris PWC 700 twin 4-stroker that puts out 140hp is going to come about. Its 2 cylinders lighter than the rx-1 (well add in a turbo charger) and i would much rather save weight with the twin. But I belive if you wait a little bit more you will see 2-strokes cleaning up their act, with semi-direct injection or direct injection. This is what i believe to be the future of sled engines is. There are even rumors that if the 2-strokes can clean up enough that they will re-appear in road bikes.

Just my thoughts on the idea.

Polaris is my way out - Other people just use a door.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I have read articles that they would like to put 2 strokes in cars if they can get them cleaned up and reliable enough. Can you imagine an 6 or 8 cylinder 2 stroke?

·
Registered
502 Posts
I know what AC has got for the four stroke right now, but I cannot say exactly what it is. 1000cc is around the area of the motor and Suzuki would be close to the motor maker, the chassis is light and it sounds cool and looks like another sled cat makes, but has a few noticeable things that would give it away. I don't know if they will release any info this year, but I also know they have been workin on this for a little while, they just started working harder after yammi got theirs out.

I don't use the brakes until I see God, and I am never wrong. I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.
http://www.whiteknuckleperformance.com

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
any hints as to how you got this info? Cat connections me guess? I am with PMan I want to see the Polaris sled if they put taht twin 4 stroker in it. People always talk about turbo lag but think about it. On a snowmobile the clutch doesn't even engage till what 4500RPMs average? THat is plenty of rpms to build up some boost. I have never ridden or talked to anyone who owned a turbo sled but I would bet the boost issues are negligible.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Also, turbo lag is directly related to how it's set up and the size of the turbo and the material it's made of, etc... Lag hardly exists if you use a smaller turbo and it's set up properly to your driving style. Besides, any amount of forced air, whether it's 5 psi or 25 psi, is better than our engines having to suck it in at atmospheric levels. So an engine with a tiny turbo and very little lag coud put out ALOT of fun horsepower. Plus, a turbo can make an engine more efficient too. And like Sled_dog said, clutch engagement rpm will help the situation even more. I think it would be great to see a sled manufacturer put out a light weight, turbo-charged engine for consumers.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
as for the 8 cylinder 2 stroke, I always said I want one. That would be awesome!! It would be great for a Monster Truck to be powered by one for the shear snap of the engine.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just wanted to let everyone know by starting this thread,in no way am I jumping on the 4-stroke bandwagon. I'd much rather stick with the 2-stroke and I hope with the development of cleaner burning ones, I hope this is the direction the manufacturers go with. After all I am already getting screwed by the demise of the triples.

NO FOREST FAIRIES(SKIERs)
BURN GAS SLEDS KICK AZZ!

TRIPLE-THE ONLY CHOICE!!!!!
'00 Indy Triumph
'93 XLT 580
'78 Arctic Cat Jag 3000

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by ACEXLT:
I'd much rather stick with the 2-stroke and I hope with the development of cleaner burning ones, I hope this is the direction the manufacturers go with.
[/quote]

I agree totally.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Hey Rocket, any word on cat working towards a DI 2stroke? It seems like everyone is working that way on the watercraft power plants for emmission reasons. It seems a very natural fit for a sled as well

You don't have to believe everything you think!

·
Registered
502 Posts
They have had something for a while but couldn't get it reliable enough for production. I haven't heard anyting for a while now, but last spring they were working on it yet. I know it works great, just not reliable yet.

I don't use the brakes until I see God, and I am never wrong. I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.
http://www.whiteknuckleperformance.com

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Why must you hold out on us Rocket!?

[red]GO HARD, OR GO HOME - THEY MAKE NEW ONES EVERY DAY[/size=2][/red]

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sled-dog if you want a 8 cylinder or 6 cylinder two stroke look no further then Detroit. It's the Detroit Diesel "screaming jimmies" they been around for years and are found in a lot of the old big rigs and commercial fishing boats. We use them in the oil Industry as power units for big pumps that pump cement and such. And as far as street bikes go Bimota had a 500cc direct injection two stroke street bike that was USA legal in 1997. But I believe it proved to spendy as they have since dropped it from its line. I do think that in the very near future we will see a resurgence of Emission legal two stroke street bikes back in the good old USA. And I can hardly wait being a huge fan of the sweet two-stroke smoke. You cannot beat a two-strokes power to weight ratio.

Regards,
Nathan

Alaska The Great Land!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts