Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year I heard that Arctic Cat was comming out with a F6, and an F9, I see the F6 on there web page, but not the F9, does anybody know anything about this, and a bunch of guy's I camp with want to know if you can get a wider track on the F5, F6, or the F7.

·
Registered
502 Posts
NO f-9 yet. the 900 is still in the zr chassis, and is offered with direct drive.

Cannot get wider track on firecat sleds, as the skid frames are narrower, thus the rails are closer together and it's a special track. not to mention that the tunnel is narrower so 15 inch track won't even fit inside the tunnel

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They were supposed to have a 1000 GSXR in the F9.

·
Registered
502 Posts
From what I know, which some may say isn't much:) the 1000 may or may not come, but they did have something other than the 660 turbo that they were working on.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If they do put the 1000 in it I think they won't be to good without a 15 inch wide track. This winter at camp on the CB radio I heard the guy's on the lake say the firecat is stuck in slush, and they said where it was, so I went for a ride with my ZRT, there was bairly any slush, I could have stopped in it with my ZRT without getting stuck, they say the 13.5 inch track is better, I don't think so, may be for racing, but not practical uses other than hard packed trails, other than the track I really like them.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I know for racing it is actually a little worse depending on what type of racing. On ice races it's a lot harder to get set up with the narrow track because it is a little tippier. I personally like the wider track

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A lot of guy's that are on the same lake as us said they would buy one of they could get a wider track, I tried one this winter, and they are more tippy like you said. Have you seen any firecats blow there tracks.

·
Registered
749 Posts
If they were to put on a wider tarck then it would add a few pounds. I would have thought that they would be better in snow then a regular 121 incher.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's just like the thinner the knife, the better it cuts, just like the track, the narrower it is the more it sinks, the wider it is the less it sinks.

·
Registered
614 Posts
But the track is 7 inches longer to make up for the lose in width.If that were the case mountain sleds would have a track 36x121, try to get your legs around that and ride comfy

·
Registered
502 Posts
just because the track is longer doesn't necessarily mean that it is going to have the floatation of a 15 inch track. and 13 1/2 x 156 track isn't gonna float like a 15 x 156 track will.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Of coarse a 1.5" wider track of the same length will have more floatation.
But the foot print of a 128x13.5 should have a foot print close to 121x15 is all I was saying.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When I first saw them I thought that it would give them better floatation, but it gave them better traction on hadrpack, with an experienced driver they aren't to bad in snow because they have the bigger paddles, they are a nice machine tho, if I had enough money I might have gotten one.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Hey ZRT maybe next year I'll come and meet you in the valley and you can try mine cause I ordered an F6 for next year.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ya, we should meet at mud lake, and race, I thaught you just got a 900.

·
Registered
614 Posts
2004 is a new year, so I need a new sled. Wheres mud lake, I've only been here 2 years, is it near the road to cape.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you are going to Capreol you turn left by the gas station you turn left, right after you cross the train tracks a sled trail crosses the road, you go on the right hand side and follow it for about 2 minutes till you get to a lake.

·
Registered
614 Posts
OK i know where that is, I'll try to get there next year for sure.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'll try to find a map, with the lake on it to make sure we are talking about the same lake.

·
Registered
614 Posts
/snofan/../images/users/sleddaver/Map2002-5.jpe
STP map no Mud lake on map though .I'll see if I can find a better one.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts