Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well boy's I had my first accident. Problem was I haven't been around enough to tell you about it. I had shoulder surgery on Dec 27th and I was all sorts of sore. Well on the Dec. 30th it decided to snow about 5 inches, so I decided fire the sled up and take a easy cruise only using one arm because my other arms in a sling thats attached to my waist. Once my sled was warm I took off down the treat and turned out of my neighborhood and head down the block. I took the ditch for awhile until I came onto another road that I was kind of unfamiliar with, but I figured I would be alright as I took off. Thinking that the culverts are in the middle of the field approach I took off and before I knew it I hit a hidden cement culvert with my right front A-Arm, pushing my ski directly towards my left ski. I was only doing ten miles an hour when I hit so lucky I didn't hurt my arm, but there I sat, unable to pull my sled away because I only had one arm. Luckily, a nice guy stopped and helped me pull my sled away. I could barely turn the ski's to the right and I bent my handle bars a little, but I made it home after that. Let her dry off in the garage and had a family friend come check it out. Apparently I bent the lower and upper control arms, but its hard to see. The only good thing is nothing is wrong with my bulkhead, shock, belly pan. Hell there wasn't even a scratch in any of them. It's gonna run me about 200 bucks for the parts, and a case a beer or two for my friend to fix the sled. Lesson of the day, don't go riding with too little snow, and 3 days out of a major shoulder surgery. I wish I had gotten pictures for ya fellas. I'll see what I can do when I head home for the weekend.

·
Registered
36 Posts
**** happens and it doesn't have to happen fast like everyone thinks. I am just fixing our new old 2000 Formula because my daughter hit a tree head on the first day we owned it. Nice! A friend of mine took his sons 4 wheeler for a slow test run in some tall grass on his own pooperty last summer. Same thing, couldn't see the stump hidden in the tall grass. Immediately reminded him of the trip he made over a pickup truck hood from his cycle 15 years back. He was out of work for a good bit this summer from a simple crash like yours. **** truly does happen.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Glad to hear you are alright though. What happened to your shoulder? Torn rotator cuff? Seems to be a common injury where I work. You are fortunate you did not screw that up worse. Others are right...speed is not always a factor. I was once thrown over the windshield of my old 74' El Tigre' I had purchased. I had just started the sled, let it warm up and drove about 3 ft when the welded on rebar used as my wearbars got caught when they struck a 6" log covered in snow bringing the sled to a dead stop. This netted me three stitches on my chin (no helmet[B)]), a broken windshield, and a bruised ego.[V] Here is the sled...Ain't she a beauty[:D]

[attachment=2387]

[attachment=2389]

[attachment=2388]

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,650 Posts
No worries. You are only one of many that have had misfortunes this season. [^] It seems with the lack of snow, everyone gets ancy and heads out when there really isn't enough snow to do any good...and that's when alot of problems happen. Glad you're physically alright...could have messed up your shoulder again pretty easily...

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea, I got it all fixed late afternoon yesterday and spent from about 4 o'clock today till 830 tonight cleaning and detailing every inch of the sled. Waxed, buffed, touched up, every bit of the sled. It looks like it just came off of the showroom floor. Now I have to decide whether or not my shoulder would be up for going to the Snowies out in Wyoming next weekend. My sleds going with a buddy anyways as a spare, but I'm not sure if my shoulder will be able to handle it all just a month out of surgery.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Personally, I would rest the shoulder another couple of weeks and rigidly stick to the PT.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is the plan. I figure I will hit it up in a month or so and see how I am feeling then. It's not worth ruining 18,000 dollars worth of surgery. My insurance and parents I sure would agree.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts