Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. So I bought a JD Trailfire 440 a few years back - rode it for a bit and the engine blew. A trip was coming on quickly, so bought a 89 Indy 650 that came in pieces. I had a buddy who agreed to help me put the sled together, but we ran into a cooling problem (resulting in all of the coolant on the floor of the garage), time ran out and I am still without a running sled.

Given that I have 2 sleds - neither of which works, I'd really like to learn how to work on these sleds. With that in mind - I was hoping that someone could point me to some sort of introduction on how to work on / rebuild snowmobiles. I realize its a big request, but figured that if anyone would know where something like this would be - this group would be it.

My specific situation is that I bought a replacement engine for the JD 440 that needs to be put in and aligned. The Polaris has a rebuilt engine with several aftermarket parts (professionally done) and I'd like to finish the job and tune it.

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to read this message and for any pointers you might have for me.

Thanks,
Adam

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Go buy a manual, will make you saves a LOT of time... I just did 2 month ago, all the questions I was asking here was printed in the book! The best buy if you have a ton of question[;)]

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
I don't even know where to start...First things first, When you have a question, use the search feature this forum has, it is amazing and baisically gives you a library of information for free. For the coolant problem, take some pics and show us. What happened, and what were you trying to do when it started leaking? To rebuild a motor you need a gasket kit first of all so you can put it back together and then you need to figure out what parts you need. And as stated above you need a manual! All I know about aligning the clutches is that I need to do it this weekend! Working on those sleds is like tryin to learn how to be a pro skateboarder or something, you cannot do it over night, it ttakes lots of practice and trial and error. I have been on this site for atleast 2 and a half years now and I'm 15 and know lots more about sleds than most of the people in my area. Just stick around this site and we'll help you out, trust me, it's saved my a$$ a few times.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts