Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They opened some areas of trails in my county, luckily right around where I live, so I got out riding today. My camera battery was dead, so no pics, sorry.

I put 63 miles on, conditions I'd say:

50% Fair
25% Good
25% Poor

It was worth it, better than I thought. I'm going back out tomorrow - after tomorrow here the snow is going to melt, damn warm weather.

Here's some trip info from my GPS:

63.2 - Trip Miles
99.2 mph - Max Speed
28.6 mph - Average Moving Speed
2 hr. 12 min - Moving Time

Felt great to get out. I wish I could have ridden/trails would have opened last weekend right after all the snow came, but it was still decent, always fun to ride right out of my driveway. Last year I only put 10 miles on around home.

I'll report back tommorrow with some pics.

·
Registered
666 Posts
yeah, i cant wait till i get my first ride in, i think its becomeing manditory for me to get a ride in because it seems all i can think about is snowmobiling, ive been yelled at by more than 1 teacher in the past couple days because im beginning to lose my focus in school. Which is not a good thing.

O and did i mention ive been getting the really bad twitch in my right thumb [:)]

·
Registered
476 Posts
^^^^ yea i know exactly what you mean you dont feel like studying or doing any homework, this may of screwed me over in the 2 tests i wrote this week

·
Registered
666 Posts
LOl, yeah my test scores have been slowly declining in the past week or 2

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by tynan19
[br]That is too bad I like the pics of your area.
I'll get some pics today tynan, I'm going back out in a little while. It's all going to melt over the coming few days, so today will be it for riding til who knows when down here. Conditions aren't great, but it's worth getting out there. (There are some nice sections of trail though, obviously, I hit 99 mph on one stretch. For the most part though, I'm taking it pretty easy.)

I've never been to MA, but I've heard the Kettle Moraine area of WI (my area, and the area where I grew up) is a lot like parts of MA. Glacial area, woody and hilly. I'd like to take a trip to MA sometime, it sounds nice. Where there trails are open for riding today isn't really in the Kettle Moraine, it's more farmland than anything, but there are still some nice areas.

I love taking a break out in the middle of a big farm field, shutting off the sled and just taking in the setting. That's one of the cool things about sledding, in an area like this where there farmers allow the trails to go through, you really get to see some land you wouldn't get to otherwise, it's a dif.perspective on the area I live.

·
Registered
169 Posts
What type of GPS do you use and where do you carry it? I only have experience with older units and I like the info that yours is returning to you.

BTW sounds like a good ride.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a Garming 276C. It's a marine unit, and I got it for it's larger screen and durability (it's immersable in water down to 10 ft. even, handles the bitter cold, etc.).

I bought a rail mount and rigged it up to sit right on my handlebars, just inside my right grip. I'll take a picture of that later and post it. That's what I wanted this one for, cuz it's big enough to actually use "onboard," while you're riding.

The thing has tons of features, it has a trip computer that tracks all kinds of stuff:

- Max Speed
- Current Speed
- Odometer
- Time
- Bearing
- Moving Average Speed
- Total Average Speed
- Moving Time
- Elevation
- Distance to Next Waypoint
- Distance to Destination
- ETA Next Waypoint
- ETA Destination
- Stopped Time
- Total Time

The list goes on and on. I had no idea it has all it does. There's way more info than you need of course, but you can pick and choose what you want to show up in the corners of your display at all time. I like having my Bearing and the Time displayed right there.

I keep Tracking on too, so it creates a track of where I rode. Then when I get home I upload it to the PC and open the MapSource software and it shows me my whole ride. All that trip computer info is there too then. I can look at any little section of my ride, and bring up info for it, like:

12/7/2006 2:09:05 PM - 786 ft segment - 0.3 mi - 0:00:13 duration - 88 mph - 11° true - N42 42.349 W88 11.001

Neat stuff, to me. LOL

Here's my ride from yesterday (green track):

Here's a pic of the snow we got last Friday (about 13 inches).

·
Registered
345 Posts
hey ranger danger, i'm wondering where you are riding at cause i'm not that far from your area and the trails are closed here in IL still. i might take a ride up that way tomorrow and need to know a place i could park and unload. If you could pm me with some info on whwere to go.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Well if you ever want to take a trip out here let me know. We would have to ride Northern Maine and Northern New Hampshire also. Maine has huge potato farms that the trails traverse through. I quess we can just keep posting pics.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got out yesterday, but the trails were a good deal worse than the day before. That's it for me around here til we get more snow.

Here's where I rode though and a couple pics.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Here's a pic of my GPS setup, as promised.
Thanks for the info.

Keep sleddin'

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
They let you ride on the trails? Waukesha County trails dont open until December, 11(Monday). It sucks cuz we got a foot of snow last friday and now it's melting...

·
Registered
963 Posts
i like your gps setup that must really help on the trails. probably gets wet though from snow flying up since you have a low windshield on.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by ski-doo211
[br]They let you ride on the trails? Waukesha County trails dont open until December, 11(Monday). It sucks cuz we got a foot of snow last friday and now it's melting...
Yeah, I called Rac. Co. snowphone Wed. and they said "As of Dec. 6 Union Grove and Burlington area trails are open."

I hear ya...

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Originally posted by foxracing
[br]i like your gps setup that must really help on the trails. probably gets wet though from snow flying up since you have a low windshield on.
You know, it really doesn't get hit at all, and I've been in some pretty deep powder (nothing too crazy, but off trail up in the U.P.). It's just low enough that it doesn't get hit really. That unit can get wet too, it's sumbersable in up to 10 ft. of water.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Originally posted by Ranger_Danger
[br]
Originally posted by ski-doo211
[br]They let you ride on the trails? Waukesha County trails dont open until December, 11(Monday). It sucks cuz we got a foot of snow last friday and now it's melting...
Yeah, I called Rac. Co. snowphone Wed. and they said "As of Dec. 6 Union Grove and Burlington area trails are open."

I hear ya...
Dang ur lucky...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts