Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally Got out! First time this year[:D](first time in 10 years)
Awsome riding as well.

My last ride was a 95' XLT SP (90hp)
So I was not to sure what to expect getting on a 120-125hp 700 twin.

Damn she pulls hard. Nice grunt. But I was expecting something more..intense. Maybe even scary...
..but I give'er the throttle and she just goes "OK" and takes off.
The ole' 600 even though it was less hp almost made me crap my pants a few times by how insanely ferocious it was accelerating out of a corner[:p](o.k, Glenn @EPI helped me set-up the clutch, but still)
The 700..I would be cruising at 60 mph...corner coming up, ease off the throttle, tap the brake, get on the throttle.... She'd go.."umm, ok" and take off....(Rpm's dropping too low? has to spool back up?)
Almost like it is waiting for you to say *GO*...
... I want it to be that mad dog snapping at the leash that takes off just as you open your mouth to say *GO*
Maybe I am expecting to much from a twin???

I guess I will have to do some clutch/gear work. The power is there, but not when I want it and not fast enough.
Am I making sense[:eek:)]

It was -22C (-7F) So it was running crisp and lean. Nice burn on the plugs. Running 91 octane.

[attachment=57439]

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
maybe a good ole clutch kit ,then dial it in??? or tighten up the secondary spring

·
Registered
252 Posts
I would start with the clutches,springs are cheep and it's easy so you can do the work.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Have the same trouble with my 700 was expecting more from it off the line, but it has the power once it gets moving.

·
Registered
21 Posts
gear down one tooth on top, clutch it, and drop your main jets down 2 sizes from stock, then I want you post what she soes. You'll be impressed those mods i just mentioned make the sled into a totally different machine. you also might want to take a look at your rear suspension and adjust for more weight transfer, it will also help with excelleration

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
What are you using for weights and springs???

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by xcr440
[br]What are you using for weights and springs???
She's all stock.

I did notice I was pulling 6000 rpm cruising @ 50MPH !!!
Chart says 80mph?
Was a couple inches of softer powder on a 6" hardpack base.
Belt issues??

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
sounds like something simple, carbs been serviced? Clutches been serviced? Where the hell were you riding theres no snow around here.??

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Rpm's depend on helix more than the gearing.

I would run a almond/blue, 10-64's, red/blue, team #719. That will wake that 700 right up.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
CanadianXCR----Went riding up in Chapleau, Ontario.

xcr440----How would a gearing change effect the clutch changes you recommend?

If I changed the ratio from 1.64 to 1.8+.. Would I still run the same clutch set-up??

·
Registered
30 Posts
Your clucthing may need to be changed. I think the difference that you feel in pull from the 700 to the 600 is actually more to do with the characteristics of the twin vs. triple. To me Triples seem to always pull harder then the twins. Either or can be setup to be faster then the other, just that the triple has more of a "muscle" feel to it. Both my dad and I have had both twins and triples and thats our opinion. My Pro X 700 doesn't seem to pull as hard as the old 800 storm, really no comparison, but the 700 is quick. You look at the speedo and realize your really moving. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
for me twins have that snappy out of the hole goodness, and excellent mid range punch, whereas the triples always need to be moving before the power kicks in hard, mid range and longer legs for top end, its almost like a turbo lag.

It sould have been the conditions you were riding in. My last ride of the year was on hardpack and the sled went like stink, first ride of the year ( last year ) was in fluffy stuff, lingering old gas, etc..Kinda thought maybe the sled wa running weird, but then hit a patch of good hardpack and a large smile returned to my face in no time. Get her out on the lake or hardpack, see what shes got.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Originally posted by xcr440
[br]Rpm's depend on helix more than the gearing.

I would run a almond/blue, 10-64's, red/blue, team #719. That will wake that 700 right up.
that what i run for my clutch set up and she flies to 90mph. also sounds like you may not be shifting out all the way or your ves is not opening all the way.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Originally posted by BarkMulcher
[br]CanadianXCR----Went riding up in Chapleau, Ontario.

xcr440----How would a gearing change effect the clutch changes you recommend?

If I changed the ratio from 1.64 to 1.8+.. Would I still run the same clutch set-up??
I am running a 24/41 in my pro x and can get 100 mph out of it. Clutch set up should be the same.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I guess I will be ordering some new parts this week.
I will post an update when the clutching is done.

I will re-double check the clutch/belt clearances etc. as well.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
or you could drop a 800 triple in it and make it not so ho-hum. [}:)][:p]

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Originally posted by Pance
[br]or you could drop a 800 triple in it and make it not so ho-hum. [}:)][:p]
That would be alot of work I think[;)]

But... I guess a nice 650 big bore triple, 180+ hp, like this would scare me enough[:D]

at 9800rpm, I guess it would not make a great trail sled...LOL

[attachment=58156]

[attachment=58157]

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Actually they make the mounting plate for the swap, the only real tricky part is the pipes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts