Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I'm fairly new to snowmobiling and I'm looking to buy my first sled and I thought it would be a good idea to get some advice from some people who know a lot more than me.

I am looking for something that I can get running for pretty cheap that I can just mess around on until I can afford something new. Right now I'm looking at two sleds on craigslist. The first is an 87 jag with an 89 440 motor in it for $300. The second is a 97 Polaris 440 for $250. Both of the previous owners say that both sleds need a piston replaced but other than that they are pretty good.

My question is which is the better investment or better sled? How much money do you think I'm going to have to put in to get them running well again?

Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
409 Posts
97 Polaris is MUCH easier to find parts for! and a better sled by far- don't go later then a 1995 of any type. fan cooled vs liquid cooled is not a big diff. try to find one with good suspension and track- those cost more than engine repair

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks alot! I'm going to go with the polaris, I just talked with the guy and he pretty much just wants it gone so I think I can get a pretty good deal on it. He said its got a good track, good suspension and hes got a brand new, in the box seat cover.
The only thing im worried about is the piston. He did the leak down test and said one side was at 125 psi and the other was 30 psi. The cylinder was in good shape but the piston is obviously junk. I have a friend who would be able to do it no problem, but wheres the fun in that- I want to try and replace it on my own. How difficult is it going to be to do this? I found a piston kit for $60 (piston, rings, pin, and clips)- is this all I am going to need?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
827 Posts
A piston kit and a top end gasket set. The job isn't too bad if you have any mechanical experience.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts