Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a 99 Yamaha Venture 500 Liquid Cooled 2 Up. Compression is good (both at 125 PSI) and it starts and runs great. 3000 miles on it. Can't wait to make it mine by going through it and making sure it will be reliable. Googled this model and most say it is almost bullet proof but seems to use lots of gas but I hear this is a common issue with this model for some reason - that's OK - I didn't get it to save gas!
So far I changed the sliders, took some wheels off the suspension, popped the seals off, re-greased and put back on - smooth turning now. Did this with the drive side bearings too. Next will do the chain drive side. I installed a coolant temperature gauge with a probe in the cylinder head as well as a rad cap with a temp probe. Ice Scratchers next. Having fun with my new toy.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Post some pictures. Have fun with it.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just got a 99 Yamaha Venture 500 Liquid Cooled 2 Up. Compression is good (both at 125 PSI) and it starts and runs great. 3000 miles on it. Can't wait to make it mine by going through it and making sure it will be reliable. Googled this model and most say it is almost bullet proof but seems to use lots of gas but I hear this is a common issue with this model for some reason - that's OK - I didn't get it to save gas!
So far I changed the sliders, took some wheels off the suspension, popped the seals off, re-greased and put back on - smooth turning now. Did this with the drive side bearings too. Next will do the chain drive side. I installed a coolant temperature gauge with a probe in the cylinder head as well as a rad cap with a temp probe. Ice Scratchers next. Having fun with my new toy.
Hardly anyone uses ice scratcher unless you ride lakes with little snow or predominantly over groomed flat trails.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts