Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up 2003 Ski Doo 440 Rev X. The machine has a fresh engine, rebuilt shocks, and been trail converted. My main question is how will this machine be in the trails? Most of my friends ride 600 and 800 machines. It is my first snowmobile (have ridden a friends rev 600 last 2 yrs) I have heard some good and bad things about the 440's so I wanted to get everyones opinion.

My other option is to trade the 440 for a 2002 Ski Doo MXZ 600. Any opions would be a great help Thanks

I have also looked at a couple of Polaris Edge X machines. I really like the looks of these but I don't know much about them.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Welcome to SF! Next time you buy a sled, it's best to ask for advice before you write the check and make another mistake, just sayin'.

The 440 is not a 800 or 600. However, if you can tune a sled or install an atacc you will like the sled. The 440s do have quite a bit of low end snort and will pull pretty good up to 55-60 and run right with the bigger displacement sleds, but after that the bigger guys will pull away from you. If you're running corner to corner in trails you might be able to keep up with your more experienced friends on the bigger sleds, but I doubt it. You will have no chance keeping up with them in the long straights.

You're asking if you should trade a rev chassis for a zx chassis sled. My answer would be no. If you can tune a sled your 440 will be fine and a fun sled, if you can't you're probably in for a few headaches that you won't be able to take care of. If you want to trade find a rev chassis 500ss, 600 or 800 that has had the ring issue fixed and start considering a trade.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
""Welcome to SF! Next time you buy a sled, it's best to ask for advice before you write the check and make another mistake, just sayin'. ""

It was kind of a impulse thing, I had a dirtbike for sale and a guy wanted to trade so I traded for it.

·
Registered
848 Posts
A 440 isn't a bad displacement to start off with. And the REV chassis is a very fun chassis, and no I wouldn't trade for an older doo chassis. If you have some experience with sleds, and have the ability to be a good driver w/o hitting trees or what not, then you may want to consider a 600. If you ride slow narrow sleds the 440 will be fine, but if you have better trails in your area where you can get some speed then a 600 is a good starter sled.

Welcome to the site too. You should find that this site can be very helpful to you.

·
Registered
863 Posts
jrp0629 said:
""Welcome to SF! Next time you buy a sled, it's best to ask for advice before you write the check and make another mistake, just sayin'. ""

It was kind of a impulse thing, I had a dirtbike for sale and a guy wanted to trade so I traded for it.
what was the dirtbike? my buddy just traded his 2003 mxzx 440 for a dirt bike? hahaha, [?]

·
Registered
110 Posts
I guess if you want a "fast" sled all I can say is there is "no replacement for displacement". The 440 will be quick, but not fast.

With the REV chassis, and the 440, you will have a great trail sled....I'd even say an awesome trail sled.

Have fun, and ride safe!

Burch

·
Registered
556 Posts
I had a 03 440, I had a lot of fun with that sled. I was lucky though to have another sled. Depending on your uses will tell you if you will like it. For around my camp I loved it. For northern NH I would take my other sled. It seemed like I was always filling it with gas and oil. 6-8 mpg. Pics in gallery

1 - 9 of 9 Posts