Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
I am looking to buy my first sled. So far I have been riding for a couple of times on a rented sled and I have fallen in love with the sport. Now I am looking to buy my own sled and since my six year old son will almost always ride with me I am thinking of buying a touring sled. Now I know that the touring sled is okay for a trail ride and as I get more experienced I would like to do some mountain riding as well and my question is it possible to do that with a touring sled? If it is not possible I would then definitely buy a mountain riding sled but then the question is would I be able to fit safely myself and a kid on a sled like that? and also is it okay to go with a kid on mountain rides in deep powder. I have a feeling it is not since I have never seen pictures of people doing that. I am new in this so your answers are very appreciated.
Thank you.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I think it would be pretty tough to ride in the mountains with a kid on your sled. And there isn't that much room on a mountain sled seat, especially if you're going to be shifting your weight around. If you kid is going to be riding with you all the time, then a touring makes sense, but it isn't going to be very good in the powder; if he isn't then go with a mountain sled, its going to be a lot more fun.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
This might be a idea that would work. Get a mountain sled but get one of those enclosed, pull behind sleds, that way when you trail ride, your kid can go with you but you can unhook it and go play in the powder.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
I think you have a good plan! Get your touring machine. That will be great for the little guy and your wife. A touring/2-up sled will have an extended track, so that will give you some extra flotation for boondocking and powder riding.

I don't think it would be that much fun doing that kind of riding with a passenger though. It will prove to be really frustrating to both driver and passenger in my opinion. It would take the freedom out of it which is really the whole point.

In a few years upgrade to a mountain machine, cross-over or performance machine, but hang on to the 2-up for the wife and son!?

Oh...And welcome to the site!

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
bokivancouver said:
Hi Everyone,
I am looking to buy my first sled. So far I have been riding for a couple of times on a rented sled and I have fallen in love with the sport. Now I am looking to buy my own sled and since my six year old son will almost always ride with me I am thinking of buying a touring sled. Now I know that the touring sled is okay for a trail ride and as I get more experienced I would like to do some mountain riding as well and my question is it possible to do that with a touring sled? If it is not possible I would then definitely buy a mountain riding sled but then the question is would I be able to fit safely myself and a kid on a sled like that? and also is it okay to go with a kid on mountain rides in deep powder. I have a feeling it is not since I have never seen pictures of people doing that. I am new in this so your answers are very appreciated.
Thank you.
i would sy a touring sled would be good if he is riding with, and that touring will probably do powder riding, but not mountain rinding, i enjoy the challenge of taking them into the powder, but for mountain riding i would get a mountain sled, i would have to say that the kid on mountain riding is a big no, unless you are gona put him into one of those things strapped to your back, just because it dangerous, i am not saying you will have a probably but when your up there the danger and possibility is magnified, and i think hes probably a little big for that, plus like other mentioned its hard to ride with another person to hold onto when your shifting and leaning all the time.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
TRICKPaint said:
I think you have a good plan! Get your touring machine. That will be great for the little guy and your wife. A touring/2-up sled will have an extended track, so that will give you some extra flotation for boondocking and powder riding.

I don't think it would be that much fun doing that kind of riding with a passenger though. It will prove to be really frustrating to both driver and passenger in my opinion. It would take the freedom out of it which is really the whole point.

In a few years upgrade to a mountain machine, cross-over or performance machine, but hang on to the 2-up for the wife and son!?

Oh...And welcome to the site!
X2[thumb]

·
Registered
567 Posts
where do you live?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for your answers. For quick -I live in Vancouver and we do have some great mountains here for riding. Trickpaint that is a great plan and that is exactly what I am going to do-get a touring sled and down the road pass it on to the wife. The only problem I have so far there is not too many used touring sleds on the market at least not here where I live.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Be careful thinking you can take the touring sled into the pow. My dad has a 4-stroke touring and that baby gets stuck like no mans business. Also be careful about adjusting to the touring sleds, some have a much higher center of gravity and can tip very easy...hard to get used to especially with a kid on the back

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jmax said:
Be careful thinking you can take the touring sled into the pow. My dad has a 4-stroke touring and that baby gets stuck like no mans business. Also be careful about adjusting to the touring sleds, some have a much higher center of gravity and can tip very easy...hard to get used to especially with a kid on the back

What brand is his sled? I see that ski doo has some touring sleds with a 154" long and 20" wide track which should be enough flotation for powder at least that is what the reviews say. Only problem is that I can't find them used at all and new ones are around 16000$ which is double of my budget [:(]

·
Registered
528 Posts
Your gunna have to go used man. his is arctic cat. Stil the touring sleds are a lot heavier than a normal sled so you still risk sinking....try getting a regular sled. prolly like a 2000-2003 600 polaris or a nice single sled with enough power for pow and good for beginners...you can easily purchase an additional 2-up seat for a single person sled like that, that is much easier and safer to have a kid on then trying to fit him on a mountain sled. Pass that sled onto you wife, then look to getting a newer 800.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Here in the states a hold over from 2010 is right around 7500 for a 600 IQ touring sled. There is one at the dealer i deal with here in Orion Illinois. Hope you find a nice touring to learn more on and then get YOUR play toy while passing the 1st down to the wife and son. Welcome to the site, Trick Paint had it right and your thinkn is solid.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Just looked for sleds in your area, and this seems like a pretty decent deal if your saying a new sled is 16k.

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rds/rvs/2046334204.html

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
BrianLee said:
Here in the states a hold over from 2010 is right around 7500 for a 600 IQ touring sled. There is one at the dealer i deal with here in Orion Illinois. Hope you find a nice touring to learn more on and then get YOUR play toy while passing the 1st down to the wife and son. Welcome to the site, Trick Paint had it right and your thinkn is solid.
You guys in the States have such good pricing compared to us here in Canada and now when dollars are almost the same it seems very affordable. Thank you for the welcome, you guys are great. This is my first post, but I have been a member for a year and read alot here to educate myself on the sport. I checked alot of other websites but nothing comes even close to the SF[beer]

sledcrusher said:
Just looked for sleds in your area, and this seems like a pretty decent deal if your saying a new sled is 16k.

Sledcrusher thank you for finding that sled, I will follow up with him. I also found one ski doo 2005 expedition 1000. Guy wants $2900. All he said in his ad is low miles. I don't know much about sleds - what kind of questions should I ask and what should I be looking for? How do I test a sled if there is no snow around? Those are just some of the questions that come to my mind and what should be okay mileage for a five year old sled?
Thanks for your input

·
Registered
528 Posts
bokivancouver said:
BrianLee said:
You guys in the States have such good pricing compared to us here in Canada and now when dollars are almost the same it seems very affordable. Thank you for the welcome, you guys are great. This is my first post, but I have been a member for a year and read alot here to educate myself on the sport. I checked alot of other websites but nothing comes even close to the SF[beer]

sledcrusher said:

Sledcrusher thank you for finding that sled, I will follow up with him. I also found one ski doo 2005 expedition 1000. Guy wants $2900. All he said in his ad is low miles. I don't know much about sleds - what kind of questions should I ask and what should I be looking for? How do I test a sled if there is no snow around? Those are just some of the questions that come to my mind and what should be okay mileage for a five year old sled?
Thanks for your input
If you have a friend who knows his stuff about machines and/or engines in general bring him along to take a look at the sled. Some of the obvious things you want to look at is visual damage, trying to tell if the sled looks beaten or not...if the guy seems like a nutjob you can obviously assume something weird is going on. Starting the sled up, listening to how it sounds, maybe taking it for a spin around a yard or something like that. Those are just a few things that can help if your not sure what to look for.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
As many have said, better limit the youngsters riding experiences to the trail til he's older. There are oodles of differences between a mountain sled and a touring sled. Track, suspension, rear travel, skis, handle bars, seat, most of all, weight. I think it makes most sense for you to buy a touring right now. If you plan to get in the mountains sooner than later you can always rent a sled just for those trips, but leave the tot home! As Trick and others have said you can always pass the touring on to the wife and kid later if you eventually buy a mountain machine.
As for looking for used, common sense and your eyes and ears will serve you well in spotting a sled that has seen a hard life. Look for bends and twists in the tunnel, elongated bolt holes. Check how it smells and sounds when running. Look for oil leaking out at all the gasket points on the engine and chaincase. Take the plugs out and see how they look, wet and oily or dry and gray. This indicates whether it tends to run rich or lean. As far as milaege on a five year old sled, some will have 1000, some will have 5000, somewhere in between would be more average. And Definately, Cross the border! Sleds are priced way too high North of the border.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I sure like that deal that Crusher posted. How can you go wrong with 2 sleds and a trailer for less than your budgeted $8K? Then you and the kid can go trailriding and touring on the 550, OR the wife and kid can ride the touring sled while you hop on and off the trail with the Summit. That price is pretty darn high for those sleds around here, but it may be alright up in B.C.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
bokivancouver said:
BrianLee said:

sledcrusher said:

Thanks for your input
They are reliable ( 4-stroke ) and get good fuel mileage. I wouldn't recommended riding it in deep snow, because when you get stuck ( and you will, everyone does ), you aren't going to be happy when you have to dig it out. The DRY weight of that sled is 720lbs. It has a 10.6 gallon tank. 1 gallon is roughly 7lbs. So that brings you close to 800lbs. Now add oil and coolant and anything else you add onto the sled and you have ONE HEAVY MACHINE.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
sledcrusher said:
bokivancouver said:
BrianLee said:

sledcrusher said:

Thanks for your input
They are reliable ( 4-stroke ) and get good fuel mileage. I wouldn't recommended riding it in deep snow, because when you get stuck ( and you will, everyone does ), you aren't going to be happy when you have to dig it out. The DRY weight of that sled is 720lbs. It has a 10.6 gallon tank. 1 gallon is roughly 7lbs. So that brings you close to 800lbs. Now add oil and coolant and anything else you add onto the sled and you have ONE HEAVY MACHINE.
8.6lbs per gallon to be precise[thumb]

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
I will have to agree with Rubi. That's a pretty nice package sledcrusher found for you. If they are in as good of condition that they appear to be, I think that would be a good deal.

I would guess everything there new would have been around 16-17 grand depending on what kind of trailer it is?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts