Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just letting you guys know that it snowed 10 inches around my house on sunday. so my dad i took the sleds out just to see if everything was going good with them. so we went ditch bangin. not our idea of a fun ride but its all we could do. so on the return trip my right front ski caught something in the ditch and it felt like my right ski went into a dip or something. so i kept riding and went to turn and i knew my front supsension wasnt performing properly... so i stood up and looked and my ski tips. my right ski was back farther than the left. i have now begun to feel sick to my stomach because i damaged my snowmobile. and thought how i was going to explian this to dad when we stopped for fuel.

yeah we pulled the sleds in my dads shop and let the snow melt off them. i finally had a good look on what happened. my lower control arm was kinda tweaked. the paint has chipped off where it was bent.
lets just say the paint is chipped in more than one place.

so im guessing that lower arm is like 120 bucks or so.

so much for the first ride of the season.
ill put a couple pics up later. im at school now

[attachment=54640] [attachment=54641]

[attachment=54642] [attachment=54643]

[attachment=54644] [attachment=54645]

well its kinda hard to see the way the lower arm is tweaked at a backwards angle related to the other side.
but you get the picture

Attachments

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
you can fix the round rods coming out of the bulk head for free if they are steel. just heat and bend back.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
My preferred riding area is the ditches, so I'm very familiar with suspension damage. Theres always something buried in them you can't see. I'm curious as to how much more its going to cost me bending up A-Arms compared to T-Arms.

·
Super Moderator
11,678 Posts
Ouch...damages are no fun. Hope you get 'er fixed soon.

I kinda know where you're coming from. I have 15 miles on my ZR and so far I've rolled it once (kinked the handguard), broke the chain, and did some damage to the front skid shock. Not good...

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Well we did the same thing to the attak, one ski is 3 inchs farther back then the other, so were hoping that the bulkhead isnt cracked.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Bummer!!! Low snow riding is alwats rough on the sleds!! Hope you get her fixed soon!!!

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
thats why I always have an extra set of a arms and steering rods. watch ebay I got a used set uf uppers and steering rods for $20.00.
lowers go for alot more though sense those are the ones you bend most of the time.

·
Registered
541 Posts
That exact thing happened to a couple of riding buddies last year.
They hit the same rock (not really that big either) and bent their suspensions. Wasn't that expensive for them to fix though.
It sure sucks but it can happen to quick.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well i called the dealer and had them order the lower arm so i can out it back together. my bulkhead appears to be very strong and no damage to that thankfully.

both upper and lower control arms go for 111.00 a piece. i was suprised hearing ht elower and upper were the same price.

bent the hell out of my carbide too. but we keep those around for spares so im okay there.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
and to whoever said heating and bending this back... i dont think that is such a great idea due to the probability that that arm will never be the same again. pluss its cracked and creased basically.
stering components is not something to mess around with anyways.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
id just bend them back and keep them as spares i wouldnt heat them. seems just bending them keeps them stronger, and maybe just weld a small rolled peice of metal around the bends for extra support.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
when i post a pic you will see what im talking about. one part is almost bent in half. so idk about even worrying about it. if anyone wants it for a project let me and have fun!

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Jeez, that sucks, especially when its your first ride of the season and you have to put money into it right away in the season.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well im also glad that my dad did not kill me. haha. im also glad that the shock is not bent.

and i still need to get my custom registration numbers made and put on there. we rode without them yesterday. but we still have the default numbers on the sled.

and some one asked where i was.... i live like 20 miles west from minneapolis. surounding me are st. boni, mound, maple plain, watertown, but i live in minnetrista. . we rode out to Hutchinson heading west on highway 7. thats where it happened. but it happened on the return trip. so i was traveling east. yeah.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Wow, that sucks. I guess I am pretty luckey that I have not damaged anything on mine yet with 110 miles of riding in about 10 inches of snow. Last year I did basically the same thing as you, there was about 12 inches and we were riding the golf course, and I hit a concrete slab that was about 8 inches high, doing about 40 miles per hour. Broke my trailing arm, sheered the bolt off, pushed my trailing arm mount about 5 inches back which severely wrinkled my tunnel and running board. Bent my radius rods, and twisted my ski like a pretzel, I'm sure that my bulkhead is cracked somewhere but I dont care. So I know where you are coming from, I only had my sled for about a week when it happened, Talk about a sick feeling in your gut!

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
oo and i painted my hood vents and nose pan vent also. it looks cool doesnt it? i used chrome spray paint. it looks really good when the sun hits it.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Sucks to hear that.. Oh well, you'll be riding again soon.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts