Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy an inexpensive used snowmobile just to ride around my area. Does anyone have any recommendations on what to look for and which brands to stay away from?

·
Registered
16 Posts
There are only 4 major brands. Arctic cat, ski doo, Polaris, and Yamaha. Can’t really go wrong with either. Personally I like arctic cat because of the m series mountain sleds. I also have a Polaris trail sled for the wife. Maintenance is the most important part of snowmobile ownership. Browse the older topics on this forum to old your knowledge base. It’s basically what Color you prefer. Fir a new trail rider any 500c. Or above sled will provide a lot of fun.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Answering a question like that without knowing anything about your area is rather difficult.
From 1972 till 2012 I owned 50 different Polaris's, 49 2 strokes and one 4 stroke turbo. Then switched to SkiDoo 4 strokes on my 6 and 7th of those.

What is inexpensive to you? Couple hundred our couple thousand Pick your price and see what you can buy in your area with what you want to spend. Then come back and ask what we recommend from what you found.
Good all around sled was the Polaris Switchback with 600 2 stroke .Maybe you could find a decent one for 2k.

Skidoo 2013 600ACE 4 stroke (first year) rmight be slightly more expensive.
Also what are your closest dealers handling Mfgring wise.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Well I've never been an Arctic Cat or a Yamaha fan, but from the links that I could see, the Yammy would be my choice engine performance wise. However back in those days people usually put other suspensions in the skids.

Then the other question is how far to your closest Yammy dealer?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts