Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well as of sunday night of last week at about 10 pm my dad and my uncle decided to go to michigan... my dad looks on www.johndee.com very frequently and reads his journal. so after he hasd read that the trails were in decent condition in certain parts of the U.P. and they had snow we jumped on it. woke up at 5:30 monday morning and got to Cross Lane, MN (just north of brainerd) at about 9:00 got my uncles edge x loaded up and took of from there around 10:15. got to the border around 3:00, parked the truck at a guys cabin we know in Wakefield. got everything unloaded and prepped the sleds and sarted out riding at about 4:00 or so. our goal was to make it to Twin Lakes and get a room at the parkview lodge thing...that was a 80 mile venture and arived there shortly after dark.

woke up bright and early and ate breakfast and took off from there on our way to Copper Harbour. we talked to guys that had been in michigan 3 weeks prior to from the present day and they laughed in our face and said there is no snow up there and you couldnt get across the bridge in Houghton...lets just say they has no idea what was going on with the weather and probably just listens to what everyone else says. we stopped in Dan's Polaris and talked for a bit and they said they just layed the mats down on the bridge and hauled snow on it on Monday. we were the second to cross the bridge that day. we made it all they way into town in Copper Harbour and turned around and headed back. took some pictures of the look out and all that fun stuff. the trail up and down was fair... snow was thin in a few places and a few rocks here and there but all other than that was good white snow. after that day was gone..we stayed in twin lakes again.. we made some plans for the next day... this was the funnest day of the trip being that we were running fresh groomed trails that no one had even stepped on in some areas. we got so lucky. its either we were right behind the groomers or we got out in front of them and thats where the fun really began....

it was just like riding in the back woods but we were on the marked trail. about 2 feet of fresh snow in some areas. steep hills, sharp corners, falling in holes, popping out of them...fun stuff. we got to the highest point in the state of michigan, Mt. Arvon. We were the first to venture up there in about 2 feet of snow fall also. that was really fun. i just got back today and i have a cold.... bummer but i had an awesome time.

oh yeah, we bought 3 trail stickers and never put them on. 75 bucks down the drain...but not really. as long as it is contributing to someting positve, its a good thing. but here are some of the 70 pictures i took.. i might not upload all them right now being that my pictures are atleast 1MB or greater so it takes like 30 seconds a picture and im not sitting here that long. plenty of pics to come.

[attachment=56847] [attachment=56848]

[attachment=56849] [attachment=56850]

[attachment=56851] [attachment=56852]

[attachment=56853] [attachment=56854]

[attachment=56855] [attachment=56856]

[attachment=56857] [attachment=56858]

[attachment=56998] [attachment=56999]

[attachment=57000] [attachment=57001]

[attachment=57002] [attachment=57003]

[attachment=57004] [attachment=57005]

[attachment=57006] [attachment=57007]

[attachment=57008] [attachment=57009]

[attachment=57010] [attachment=57011]

[attachment=57012] [attachment=57014]

[attachment=57017] [attachment=57019]

[attachment=57021] [attachment=57023]

[attachment=57026] [attachment=57028]

[attachment=57030] [attachment=57031]

[attachment=57033] [attachment=57035]

[attachment=57036] [attachment=57038]

[attachment=57040] [attachment=57042]

[attachment=57043] [attachment=57044]

So all in all the trip was great. ..... there were some dumb people along the way... such as a lady in marquette when we were checking into a room asked if we were on sleds.......we had all our gear on.
i thought that to be pretty funny.

oh and that blue edge x only has 7,000 miles on it or so....cant ya tell?

my dads sled now has almost 2200 on his and im pushing 2000. were deffinately getting the use out of the sleds... we bought them at the end of february last year. havent owned them a year yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
I'm usually not very picky about this, but could you edit it so it has paragraphs?

·
Registered
492 Posts
wow you are anal man.^^^^

nivce work on finding some snow, I love in Pequot Lakes, which is bout 15 min from Cross lake. and as you saw, there is no snow there!

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by 440_Rocket
[br]wow you are anal man.^^^^

nivce work on finding some snow, I love in Pequot Lakes, which is bout 15 min from Cross lake. and as you saw, there is no snow there!
no sir there is not... there is an amount in McGregor though.

·
Registered
135 Posts
That's a lot of snowmobiling!

I might be going up to the Keewanau peninsula area within the month. I've never been THAT far up, so it should be nice.

·
Registered
56 Posts
hope you like railroad grades because thats about all there is to ride in the keewanau

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
How many hr days was that? Lots of miles in 3 days. I normally ride 100 per day.
I gotta give ya some props you laid down some serious miles. My wife would never go for that. She thinks 80 is enough for the day. I am usually just getting warmed up after 80.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
When I went to the U.P. with Bmxican and Miker last year we started at like 11 and got back to the cabin at about 9. We put on 220 miles that one saturday and it was hard to walk the next morning since I stood up the whole time. Then Sunday we went and put on 170 FAST miles from about 10 until 3. We stopped and played in some areas the first day to so that was really fun. I guess I cant speak for him this time but they really do put on the miles like that.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Originally posted by xcr440
[br]How many hr days was that? Lots of miles in 3 days. I normally ride 100 per day.
I gotta give ya some props you laid down some serious miles. My wife would never go for that. She thinks 80 is enough for the day. I am usually just getting warmed up after 80.
We normaly have 80 miles on before lunch. One day we put on just shy of 300 miles on and that was riding from 6am till about 8 pm [:D]
Looks fun. I wish there was decent snow everywere. Were the trails busy or not?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Last Sunday (1-14) My buddy and I did 295 miles..Started in Mercer, then up to the pocupines, out to twin lakes, and then back to mercer.

A mix of everything!

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
trails werent busy until thursday when we were getting the hell out of there......some body gave a 15 year old kid a F7 and he tried climbing a tree with it. didt work out for him in any way. sled was really mashed up he was getting pulled on a backboard to the ambulance...the guys in the group were mad by the time my dad came around the bend and blew by them...then my uncle and I got yelled at by some guy, had no right to...i wanted to tell him thats its not my fault that the guy in your group went off the trail in a slmost straight line and hit a tree..... but i didnt. im not saying that it couldnt happen to me but there was no good reason for that to happen. we visited a tree on tuesday that had a big dent in it and a large amount of bark missing from the side of it where a 2006 apex hit it last year. ......another accident on a corner that wasnt sharp at all. these guys must be drunk to screw up like that

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
That's some serious riding you've done there.

At least someones riding

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by powersledder
[br]I think I might have seen you out there one day, I remember seeing 2 Fusions and an Edge X. You sure put a lot of miles on for one trip
well if you looked at us like 3 times after you rode by that was me..... i remember somebody turning around and looking like they saw something familiar...its a small world

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
If I put on more than 80 miles in a day I know it was a bad day. That means we rode trails pretty much all day. Probably put on 50 or so today.

Looked like fun. How far of a drive is it there?

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by ACG
[br]If I put on more than 80 miles in a day I know it was a bad day. That means we rode trails pretty much all day. Probably put on 50 or so today.

Looked like fun. How far of a drive is it there?
2 times last year we drove directly from where we live to wakefield which is just over the border. its about a 5-6 hour drive if traffic is good and your traveling 60-65.... but it takes 7 1/2 hours when your following Mr. Steve Rosdahl. haha.

but this year we drove from home to cross lake mn. and then to wake field. and its about 2 1/2 to duluth from cross lake and then another 2 hours or so to the border from there.

so it was from home to crosslake= 2 1/2 hours
cross lake to duluth= maybe 3 hours
duluth to our destination= 2 or 3 hours.

so we spent atleast 8 hours in the truck this year rathe than the traditional 5 or 6.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Whats up with the guys on the old sleds in the pic that is down 4 and on the right? Those sleds arent the type of sled you normally see up there.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by wilb
[br]Whats up with the guys on the old sleds in the pic that is down 4 and on the right? Those sleds arent the type of sled you normally see up there.
those were a couple of old Mercs. pretty neat to see those up there..... they took off down the trail ......good thing the trails were in excellent shape and not a lot of bumps

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
i am very jealous, and very good for you. condition looks pretty nice down there.

i normally put 350-400 km on it a day when we go for a three day trip up here. thats when the trails are in relatively good conditions.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts