Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the short time I had my 05 900 switchback last season I burned up two belts, Ouch! I think part of the reason for the second victim was all the burnt rubber on the clutch surfaces, oops. Anyway, I was crusing aroung the internet and found this site:

http://www.snowgoer.com/output.cfm?id=1052497

It looks like the perfect solution. I plan(ed) on getting this kit for the 900 switchback and the SLP torque and push arms (already ordered). I figure with the price of belts ill be saving money if I can stop burning them up (at least I convinced my wife it would save money[:)]), My question is has anybody installed the EPI pro clutch kit and was it worth the 279 bucks. A couple of people I have talked to said that goodwin would be the best, but on the goodwin site I didn't see a kit for the 05 900 switchback they only listed the 900 fusion. I am pretty sure the gearing is different than in the fusion, so wouldn't that make a difference in the clutching? The guy I talked to at the sled shop didn't seem to have much info to offer on the subject.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought the sled with 1800 miles on it I am pretty sure the expensive belt is the one that was on it - it had really large top cogs on it. We (some freinds and I) ripped some of the cogs off of the expensive belt trying to figure out who had the fastest sled. The good news was that particular belt didn't burn [:D]. The two following "regular" belts are the ones that burned.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
There is a serious lack of airflow on the '05 fusion. Two things you should do:

SLP torque and push arm.
SLP or Carl's Cycle hot air elimination vents.

At the minium do #2 and remove the slab of foam on the clutch side panel and install the SLP or Carl's Cycle rear side panel vents. That'll give you the air flow necessary to cool the clutches keep the sled from eating belts.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I read in a mag that the EPI was desiended to stop the belt burning last year.For polaris Id say epi over goodwin.Goodwin is better for cats from what Ive heard.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
belt sticking to the clutchs means the motor is coming out of alignment. the extra slp mounts help hold it in place. and then yes open up for air flow.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Not to hijack the thread, but what do you guys with the 05 900's think, overall, of the sleds? I was in a dealership today looking at an '06 700 Fusion when the sales guy said he could get me onto the 05 900 Fusion for much less. All of the service bulletins/recalls have been done. Is there a risk with this sled? Is the vibration much of an issue?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't have many miles on mine yet so I wouldn't be too great of a source but I like my 900 - it isn't a fusion though. If I can fix the belt burning problem I'll be happy. I only paid 4500 for it so I really don't mind putting some extra cash into it. If I had paid 9000 I might be a little upset putting money into it with only a couple of thousand miles. If you can get a fusion for 5500 or so sounds like a good deal on a new sled - just make sure you get a warranty. Just my two cents.

Okay back to this belt problem...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts