Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
doing some reading on snow west and i found a guy who posted this link.
www.redneckracing.com

keeps the sled hotter and keeps the coolant warmer and prevents cold coolant from cycling back into the engine after the sled has been sitting for 5- 10 minutes.

so basically they in stalled this enhancement kit on a brand new MY2011 Assault RMK, put two thousand miles on the sled in two weeks in all variating conditions....then removed the kit from the sled and reintalled it to OEM the sled ran for another 49 miles before they lost the PTO side piston.

mainly pertaining to new polaris 800's and pros.. they are also working on applications for 6's&7's

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
I would be skeptical of someone that is trying to sell you a product that claims to have tested it themselves. It is easy to say it works great but until it is tested by more than one person other than themselves I would be leery. I looked at the add and if they are raising the engine to 180 to 190 the ECU is already detuning for hot conditions. Most two strokes make the best power between 100 and 120 degrees F. This is the reason most two stroke thermostats are a 120 stat.
Also the 2011 800 engines are the best running most reliable to date (Not my quote check the new Sno Tech) so it is hard to believe that it only took 49 miles to burn it down after the change over. The sled pictured in the add is a 2010 not a 2011 not sure if this is there test sled or not.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
skeptical yes, but ive heard of numerous accounts on guys "cold seizing" the engines in them.

and they are not raising the operating temp to 180-190 degrees F, thats what the coolant spikes up to after the sled is shut off and sitting. the coolant in the rest of the cooling system gets way cooler faster and that cycles back into the engine when you restart it, and it rapidly cools and guys wont let their sleds warm up to operating temp before getting on them and riding them hard again.

the operating temp will be between 145-160 degrees. the sled will not lose power from operationg this hot, its fluctuation in temperature differences that will make a sled run worse than maintaing a steady engine temp.

thats what it is to my understanding.

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
I would be skeptical of someone that is trying to sell you a product that claims to have tested it themselves. It is easy to say it works great but until it is tested by more than one person other than themselves I would be leery. I looked at the add and if they are raising the engine to 180 to 190 the ECU is already detuning for hot conditions. Most two strokes make the best power between 100 and 120 degrees F. This is the reason most two stroke thermostats are a 120 stat.
Also the 2011 800 engines are the best running most reliable to date (Not my quote check the new Sno Tech) so it is hard to believe that it only took 49 miles to burn it down after the change over. The sled pictured in the add is a 2010 not a 2011 not sure if this is there test sled or not.

So why not put the Polaris thermostat in like all the short tracks have. It should be easier and cheaper than buying the kit from them. Just take two bolts out of the housing and place it in.
The Polaris stat is a 120 degree stat and would do the same thing stop circulation until the engine reaches 120 degrees. It then starts to open slowly and circulation starts through the coolers.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah i have to make a few phone calls. the thing is also is i believe installing that warranty would be subject to void correct?

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
talked to guys at SLP and they say when they tried their dyno run at 150 degrees and above the pro rmk just started detonating and started to ping as well.

they say dont waste your money on the gizmo. they havent had time to test them yet. but if those guys say no, for now we will take their word for it.

although carter from togwotee is running the gizmo on his guide sled and his personal 700.
hundreds of guys have been running them but only for a short period of time thus far.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
the piston in them pics is overheated not overcooled. pistons are not suppose to be black like that.

of course hotter water makes an engine more sensitive to detonation.

cold seizing is not going to happen once the sled is warmed up. its not like the water sits and gets cold in the coolers and then rushes into the engine.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
madcow said:
the piston in them pics is overheated not overcooled. pistons are not suppose to be black like that.

cold seizing is not going to happen once the sled is warmed up. its not like the water sits and gets cold in the coolers and then rushes into the engine.
the guy is arguing the fact that metal expands and contracts, the cylinders and pistons cools at different rates.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
yep hes right, different metals do expand and contract at different rates. but just because he quotes 6th grade physics doesnt make him right.

point is that in his photos he is showing pictures of overheated pistons. one has scoring but both are overheated.

once a sled is warmed up even with no thermostat the water coming back is not coming back cold enough that its going to cold sieze the engine. without a thermostat i could see if you shut down a hot engine for 5-10 minutes when the cooler were packed with snow. start it up and you might get a cold rush of water to try to shrink a cylinder and scuff the piston. but chances are if the sled idles for any amount of time before taking off that would be less of a chance.

like eric said, if the rmks dont have a thermostat than simply add one for a more consistant running sled.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah it all makes sense. just anohter thing too is theres a few guys out west that i hear nothing but good from and they were on snowest saying i have the product, it does what it says, you will be pleased.

thats coming from Carter, one of the guides out at togwotee in Moran,WY. he put one on his guide sled which is an 800 and he put one on his personal 700

but then the guys at SLP say no dont waste your money on it, when we dyno the pro rmk 800 and when it approaches 150 degrees on a dyno, it detonates, they arn't there to bash anything, im guessing you would have to play around with the ecu to get the sled to run correctly at those temps the guys at ******* are saying you can run this sled at 150 degrees all day long, but when ide see 140 and above, im gonna get in snow to cool this thing off. but he never reported anything about detonating while doing theyre dyno tests.

funny how you can hear different reports like this all the time. and it sucks when you want to spend money on a product.

·
Registered
4 Posts
madcow said:
the piston in them pics is overheated not overcooled[/color=red]. pistons are not suppose to be black like that.

cold seizing is not going to happen once the sled is warmed up. its not like the water sits and gets cold in the coolers and then rushes into the engine. [/color=red]

OK. First off. The cold coolant does[/color=red] sit in the coolers then rush into the engine. What do you suppose happens when you stop for 10 minutes to help a friend and your engine heat soaks to say 150 or better, And your tunnel with the coolant is covered with snow and is rapidly cooled, you then jump on your sled pull the cord and go?
First thing is your head thermostat is wide open due to the heat soak and the water pump is pumping the 80 to 90 degree coolant into a hot engine. So since the cooling ports are in the cylinder the cylinder contracts and squeezes the Hot expanded pistons, this creating scuffing of the pistons from a cold shot and yes that creates heat from the friction.
Any Questions I will be glad to answer.
We currently have a few hundred of these kits all over the US and Canada,we have had no failures of any kind since the install and customers are claiming a horsepower gain, consistant temps, and no hesitation. Folks are welcome to call a few of the dealers that are installing these kits around the country.
Heriad Sporting Center
Heriad, SD
Buckys Outdoors
Pinedale,WY
Tri City
Centerville, UT
Oregon Trail Sports
Baker City,OR.
I have more if you need them, And we are adding more dealers everyday.
Thanks Trevor

1 - 12 of 12 Posts