Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, got on the repairs to my sled today. i had ordered 6" standard pivot riser the other day with a plan to redo the entire top of the steering post. i bought a length of 7/8" solid bar and made a T top steering post. it's stronger than new now. my handlebars are only slightly bent down on the left side so i'm going to use them. on to fixing the back of the tunnel tomorrow, got some banging to do. then put in my new studs and the sled is almost ready to go. here are pics of what i did today. my buddy helped me and he's the one in a few of the pics. he did the cutting, i did the welding.

[galleryattach=15403]

[galleryattach=15404]

[galleryattach=15405]

[galleryattach=15406]

[galleryattach=15407]

[galleryattach=15409]

[galleryattach=15410]

[galleryattach=15411]

[galleryattach=15412]

·
Super Moderator
11,680 Posts
Smart thinking with the T-post and bracing. Shouldn't bend it too easily now the way it looks.

·
Registered
476 Posts
im jus curious for your risers i want to do the same thing as you, by just buying those connectors instead of soldering. what are those connectors called and were did you get them from. and also did you have to go with an extended brake line, i know you probley had to go with a thortle extension

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ganch- not exactly sure what you mean by "connectors". i'll try to explain what i did as best i can for you. first i just cut the top of the steering post off. then using a grinder i cut a rounded relief in to the top end of the steering column. i then took a piece of sold 7/8" steel bar that i bought from a local hardware/supply yard, i bought a foot of it for $3 and i think the piece we used is about 4" i don't remember the actual length, and welded it to the top in the rounded relief i ground out. you can see my buddy holding a square to it after i tack welded it (second pic)

after i tack welded it and made sure it was square and just about straight (because it basically represents the angle of the handle bar to the skis), i welded all the way around the joint of the T bar and the steering column.

i'm guess by "connectors" you mean the flat steel pieces. these we made out of 1/8" thick flat steel stock, it was a piece of steel about 2 feet long and 4" wide. my buddy cut them with a chop saw into that shape from that one piece. i then welded those pieces on to add support, and it adds a LOT of support.

welding and soldering are very different. the welds have to be solid in a project like this. the riser block is just a regular powermadd pivot riser block. i have a Gravity Worx extended throttle cable and an extended brake line from a company i don't remember off that of my head, bought that last year.

hope that answers your questions. if not, maybe you can try to explain more what you mean.

·
Registered
999 Posts
good lookin set up. Hope it works out for ya. Good luck at the track as well.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Originally posted by Customized89Trail
[br]so, got on the repairs to my sled today. i had ordered 6" standard pivot riser the other day with a plan to redo the entire top of the steering post. i bought a length of 7/8" solid bar and made a T top steering post. it's stronger than new now. my handlebars are only slightly bent down on the left side so i'm going to use them. on to fixing the back of the tunnel tomorrow, got some banging to do. then put in my new studs and the sled is almost ready to go. here are pics of what i did today. my buddy helped me and he's the one in a few of the pics. he did the cutting, i did the welding.

[galleryattach=15412]
i think this is where he is talking about. the wiring connectors.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by Bobinwi
[br]
[br]so, got on the repairs to my sled today. i had ordered 6" standard pivot riser the other day with a plan to redo the entire top of the steering post. i bought a length of 7/8" solid bar and made a T top steering post. it's stronger than new now. my handlebars are only slightly bent down on the left side so i'm going to use them. on to fixing the back of the tunnel tomorrow, got some banging to do. then put in my new studs and the sled is almost ready to go. here are pics of what i did today. my buddy helped me and he's the one in a few of the pics. he did the cutting, i did the welding.

[galleryattach=15412]
i think this is where he is talking about. the wiring connectors.

ahh, ok. didn't think of that. that's just standard wire connectors you can get at a hardware store, or even radioshack. just regular wire and connectors. i think i bought it all at radioshack.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by proxJ
[br]Glad to see you got her fixed up for fairly cheap!
so far so good. not sure if i'll get the back of the tunnel straight tonight. if i don't, it will get done tomorrow. i'll post pics of that too. we have to do some work on my buddies 01 800xc which he's bringing over shortly. might just do that first get it out of the way. at some point this weekend our other buddy with the 01 600xc has to clean his VES and carbs and stuff like that in prep for the trip. i still have to put in all of my studs, flo-rites, and a few other little things.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
[br]
Originally posted by proxJ
[br]Glad to see you got her fixed up for fairly cheap!
so far so good. not sure if i'll get the back of the tunnel straight tonight. if i don't, it will get done tomorrow. i'll post pics of that too. we have to do some work on my buddies 01 800xc which he's bringing over shortly. might just do that first get it out of the way. at some point this weekend our other buddy with the 01 600xc has to clean his VES and carbs and stuff like that in prep for the trip. i still have to put in all of my studs, flo-rites, and a few other little things.
Ha sounds like my last 3 nights getin all my friends sleds ready for radar runs but havent even touched mine yet. You should be able to bang most of the back tunnel out fairly easily.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Are those MIG or TIG welds?

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Originally posted by SKILIE301
[br]Are those MIG or TIG welds?
it's MIG, but gasless flux core wire feed. one of these days i'm getting a gas conversion for the welder and a different set of rollers so i can do aluminum.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
MIG with the shielding gas is the tits. Welds look good. What make of welder? If you want to weld aluminum your welder needs to have DC amperage.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Originally posted by SKILIE301
[br]MIG with the shielding gas is the tits. Welds look good. What make of welder? If you want to weld aluminum your welder needs to have DC amperage.
it's a lincoln weldpak 100, it's a little one. 20% duty cycle. good for what i need though. there is a gas conversion and aluminum conversion. it's about $100 for the gas conversion and then another $50 for the aluminum stuff. i have to get the gas conversion in order to run the aluminum conversion. i want to get the stuff just haven't had the money lately.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts