Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So been thinking about this for awhile. Been looking into the possibility of switch the ol'650 over to flatslides? Just a few questions. Are an type of flat slides going to have a easier throttle pull than a round slide? Also I thought I usually see that when people switch over to flatslides they also go with a bigger carb is this true or am I making stuff up again? HAHA

Also I take it they are as easy to do maintenance on as a round slide? Also I have heard stories of Kehins (sp?) being hard to tune, are Mikunis any better?

Also been thinking of maybe trying to go with a butterfly style like the SRXs have. Only problem I see with those are that they are a rack style and I doubt the intake port allignment is the same on the 650 and the SRX.

Any suggestions and info would be greatly appreciated
Thanks guys

·
Registered
521 Posts
I think the Indy triumph's had rack carbs too, that might be an option as well and might be an easier fit on the 650 as opposed to the xcr carbs. But, rack carbs do have an easier pull than three individual carbs.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
The triumphs do have rack style flat slide carbs. If your intake boot spacing is the same as an XLT I'd see if you could pick yourself up a set of carbs off a Triumph. I also believe the 99 xlt's had the flatslides as well. They will be pretty difficult to find though. If you stick with the RACK STYLE carbs i know you will have an easier throttle pull. But if you go with 3 individual flatslide carbs, the throttle pull may be just as stiff as the roundslides.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys guess I will be measuring intake spacing and doing some comparing. I know where there is a set of rack style for an SRX but highly doubtful the intake spacing is the same.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I was just reading in Aaen's carb tuning manual that flatslides flow a little more than comparable round slides so you won't need bigger carbs. You will probably need to go to bigger pilots and mains than what you had in the rounds slides though. I would stay away from Keihins. I have them on my sled and they aren't nearly as easy to tune as Mikunis.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts