Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a little FYI for all you XLT'ers out there. I had choking/flooding problems all season, a couple of times I even had to drain the block of built up gas (even with fuel switch shut off). Also had 4 sets of fouled plugs this year. I suspected that the carbs were not set up right and had come out of sync.

Took it in to my "friendly neighbourhood Polaris-Man" (no offense P-man). Needles & seats (as suspected) in all cylinders failed pressure test -> replaced. But the surprise was that the replacement choke lever kit I put on last year was the source of the fouling.

You know the one I mean, the cheap plastic one that they put on that is prone to breakage by just about anything that comes within 2 feet of it!! I wish they could change the design on that, I see they have tried with the newer sleds. It was not the correct one (aftermarket, not Polaris) and it was choking too much even at 1/2 position. He replaced the choke lever with an OEM one for $6.00 & away I went. Imagine that, the small difference in the levers caused just that much extra choking to screw up the balance.

As I say, it's just FYI for all those out there who have hard starting, fouling, flooding problems. 99% of the time it is definitely something with the carbs. So the first thing to check is the needles & seats, then check the choke setup.

Hope this helps all you Polaris guys!!!

Make the best of the late season snow, pretty soon it will be all gone!! But importantly, ride safe in the low snow conditions & watch the ice conditions!!!!

On the back of my snow jacket it says...

"If you can read this, the bitch fell off!"

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Hmmm....very interesting. I've got the same sled as you, and I had to replace my choke lever as well due to breakage. I'm curious, what is the mesurement of your new choke lever (the part of plastic on the lever that contolls the amount of choke your engine recieves) so I can compare it to mine. I'd appreciate it, thanks.

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
671 Posts
I have never had problems with mine. i don't know why. it always starts and runs great till im done. 94 xlt sp here

Ride it like you stole it!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tfin,

There is virtually no difference I can see between the parts, the Polaris one seems to be of better quality, the other one was an aftermarket. He said it had to do with the distance to the hole where the roll pin goes and the size of the side flaps on the lever itself. Look at the attached picture, but I'm guessing the difference is only a fraction of a millimeter in both cases. I can't measure the difference with the tools I've got. I guess sometimes it pays to get OEM parts afterall!! (not all the time though!!!)

On the back of my snow jacket it says...

"If you can read this, the bitch fell off!"

·
Registered
79 Posts
It was that same thing on my xcr, when i hit a ditch and took off the choke, key, and hand warmer switch. when i replaced the choke it ran like shit, if i put it on half way it would totaly foul out, i think i have to get a brand new one. The carbs have to be resinked to because i played around with them
and later i found that the carb flanges had a crack in one of them! they are only 90.00$ apeace!!!!! for a little rubber covered alluminion(or how ever you spell it) piece.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts