Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[:(]Trying to confirm fuel pump diagnosis. I put in new needle and seats, sled filled right up with gas. Some of you guy's said to rebuild fuel pump. I thought it was weird this only happened after new needle and seat. I took carbs apart, again. new needle and seats were metal on metal, old ones were rubber tipped. Yes, I didn't know there was a difference at the time. I put old one back in, still shutting gas off when not using. I stopped and filed tank yesterday, by the time I had filled and paid for gas, it was flooding. It started ok but took a minuter to clear gas out. Same thing when I stopped for a minute on the trail. I shut gas off when I stop and everything is fine. It does seem to be using more gas, 15 miles and down to 3/4 tank. Sled also seems flat in the mid range, still has good bottom and top, but it seems to be flat around 60 -70 mph and around 75 it takes off again. does it still sound like a fuel pump? plugs are nice and tan. Pto side does have a little oil puking out where pipe meets exhaust flange. sorry this is long, but, it seems to help if you can try to give all the facts.[:(]

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Runner if the cylinder where the impulse is connected is the one that is flooding out I would say it is your fuel pump. Riley

·
Registered
957 Posts
I know it's simple....and I think someone might have said it on your older post... but make sure the ventline for the gas tank is plugged or stopped as the pressure build up in the tank willcause flooding.

On your needles and seats.... Is it possible that ya got the wrong ones? I'd bring in the old ones to match them up perfectly.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
actually, all the cylinders were filling up, when the sled sat over night. I'll recheck the vent lines. but, it also did it after fueling up with the gas cap off. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Sounds like your needle valve is not working. Maybe your floats are not adjusted right. Check to see if the needle valves are the same size. I would either try putting the old ones back in or loweering your float height.

·
Registered
13 Posts
zackattack is on to something. If the flooding is also occuring when the engine is not running than it is not likely to be the fuel pump. The needle valves close off the gas once the float bowl is full. If the floats are stuck or out of adjustment or the needle valve is not seating properly (dirty, gummed up) than fuel will continue to flow into the bowl untill tank is empty. When you installed the new needles did you follow float adjustment guidelines(a must)? If this problem started after you installed new needles then this is were you should focus your attention.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
disconnect the pulse line from the engine, leave gas on, if gas drips out it is the pump, i had the same thing happen to me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts