Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Super Moderator
11,386 Posts
Way to many variables there. They make several different series of flowmasters and many lengths of glasspacks that effect sound greatly. If you took the loudest of each though a glass pack will be louder,you can get them so small they will basically just sound like a straight pipe.

· Registered
2,432 Posts
I had dual exhaust on my 99 Silverado with an 18" (I think) glasspack on each side. After about a year, it was LOUD!!! The packing inside was gone so it was basically a straight pipe. My parents could hear me in the house with the windows open accelerate on the highway in the mornings from 2 miles away. I had 3" tailpipe with 4" tips going straight out the back, so it was a nice deep rumble. You could still have a conversation without yelling inside and still let people know you are coming.

· Registered
566 Posts
i love that sound [}:)] hahah ya glass pack is closest to straight pipe loud as you can get. what are you wanting to put it on i had and 90 f 150 302 hopped up with this and that i had it straight piped true dual with bbk headers you didnt have a conversation in that thing especially with the 2 12 in subs and brigde dual 1000 watt amps FYI will never do again. anyways you want loud glass pack you want throaty rumble flomaster or magnaflow thats my input any way

· Registered
2,432 Posts
The rumble has more to do with the tailpipe than the muffler. The bigger the tailpipe, the deeper the sound. A 3" tailpipe will sound night and day different than a 1.5" tailpipe. I would just go talk to your local muffler shop and see what they recommend.

· Super Moderator
11,386 Posts
firecatF5 said:
this is kinda related. I want to get a different sound for my 99 Jimmy. but I don't want to have a whole set up. can I just swap out my stock muffler for a glasspack or flowmaster??
Yes,since you have a V6 though I wouldnt get anything loud or it will sound like crap. Maybe a flowmaster 50 series or a turbo muffler of some sort just to give it a little rumble.

· Registered
2,017 Posts
firecatF5 said:
this is kinda related. I want to get a different sound for my 99 Jimmy. but I don't want to have a whole set up. can I just swap out my stock muffler for a glasspack or flowmaster??
Ive straight piped, glasspacked, and flowmastered my Blazer. Flowmaster BY FAR sounds the best. Cat back custom bent 2.5" pipe with a 40 series. The straight pipe and glass packs made the truck sound buzzy, as V6s often sound.

· Registered
2,957 Posts
firecatF5 said:
For 6 cylinder, go with Magnaflow. They give you a not-so-ricer sound. Flowmaster and glass packs sound like a ricer ( most of the time ) when put on 4 and 6 cylinders.

Honestly, I think saying your deciding between flowmaster and a glass pack is dumb. Glass packs are for if you want cheap noise. Flowmaster makes a good exhaust that is flow tested to keep power either the same, or get a small gain. Also, in a lot of places, glass packs are illegal as they are a straight through design.

· Registered
453 Posts
My brother has a '94 Dodge 2500 V10 with dual Thrush glasspaks and it is pretty darn loud. He first put them on with his cat converter on and it was probably not as loud as stock. It sounds pretty throaty, maybe a little too much for my liking. He also did get pulled over once for loud exhaust.[LOL]

· Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
idk whats up with it i have put water inside it and when we were camping i through it in the fire because i heard that it will break the packing but still nothing it makes me mad because i want a good tone

· Registered
2,957 Posts
teamarctic14 said:
im wondering if my cat is plugged thats why im not sure
Start your truck, let it warm up, then rev the crap out of it ( dont blow your motor though ) and see if the cat turns red, or gets extremely hot.

· Registered
4,306 Posts
With the exception of true muscle cars, I'm not a big fan of flowmaster on anything else. There's a new charger running around here with flowmasters that sounds like crap, and I've heard a few other newer vehicles that really don't sound good. So, especially on a V6 I'd go with magnaflow.

RMK-KING said:
firecatF5 said:
Yes,since you have a V6 though I wouldnt get anything loud or it will sound like crap. Maybe a flowmaster 50 series or a turbo muffler of some sort just to give it a little rumble.
Dodge 3.9l V6, long tube headers and 4' long collector, no cat or muffler
http://www.youtube.com/powersledder#p/a/u/1/PC_DTVhuRHw

Same truck, long tube headers, gutted cat, single in/dual out magnaflow muffler
http://www.youtube.com/powersledder#p/a/u/0/BFct9EbAzno

teamarctic14 said:
I took the exhaust off my truck and found the cat was completely destroyed inside, this was under 100k miles too.

· Registered
1,791 Posts
I just installed before winter Flowmaster Super 44 muffler, very nice. Not to loud but still loud enough to rattle the windows inside thehouse

· Registered
379 Posts
sledcrusher said:
teamarctic14 said:
Start your truck, let it warm up, then rev the crap out of it ( dont blow your motor though ) and see if the cat turns red, or gets extremely hot.

You dont have to do that to see if your cats plugged just start the tuck and go by the tail pipe and hold your hand over it if it has enough pressure to push your hand off then it's not clogged. But if it is hardly pushing your hanf then it's clogged alot easier on the motor that wy and doesn't require revving the piss out of it.

sledcrusher said:
firecatF5 said:
For 6 cylinder, go with Magnaflow. They give you a not-so-ricer sound. Flowmaster and glass packs sound like a ricer ( most of the time ) when put on 4 and 6 cylinders.

Honestly, I think saying your deciding between flowmaster and a glass pack is dumb. Glass packs are for if you want cheap noise. Flowmaster makes a good exhaust that is flow tested to keep power either the same, or get a small gain. Also, in a lot of places, glass packs are illegal as they are a straight through design.

I woudnt go magnaflow for a 6 cylinder. There nor very loud as it is. I have a cat back system on my V6. Magnaflow highflow cat but a thrush turbo muffler one in two out with 2.5" pipes and 3" tips sounds good and better then some V8's.

· Registered
4,235 Posts
Thanks for the responses guys. I really like the sound in that second clip powersledder. That's basically what kind of sound I'm looking for.

Do you think I could just get setup? like list setup but with flowmaster 40s? how do you think it would sound?
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/Univ/Flowmaster/Exhaust_System/F1317472.html?tlc=Engine+%26+Drivetrain

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.