Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My current sled is a 95 XLT 600 (sks)which has been modified slightly concerning clutch improvements...high flow airbox...c&a pro skis...decals removed...piped etc....anyhow I love to see how far my sled will fly...as many call "the sledneck antics"...well I've experienced everything from bottoming out to whole front and rear ends locking and jamming solid from these jumps.....I just would like to know your input on any way I can modify my sled further...possible strenthening or further suspension improvements?.....any help will be greatly appreciated....Thanks

·
Registered
38 Posts
Some guys in here have talked about upgrades to the x-tra 10 suspension for your machine before. you could try that. I like jumping too. I stiffened my springs up by bending the extension arms on them, probably not a long term solution for sled life, but then again neither is launching big hits. oh well fun for now.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Jet packs and wings. In my Opinion you'd be downgrading to an Extra 10 suspension.

I just purchased a 1997 Indy XLTSP and I'll be flight testing it very soon. I will keep you posted.

KB

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Stiffen up the springs.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Originally posted by mrnoah
[br]go faster
[:D]...LOL..true!

Stiffening the springs is a good start.
If you are going to be doing some hard-core major jumping you must re-valve your shocks, and/or get adjustable gas shocks so you can trail ride too. Or soon you will find yourself bottoming out the skid, or breaking suspension components.

High pressure gas shocks are much better suited for jumping than the regular old hydraulic ones. Much stronger too.
If you've got the factory Fox shocks, then revalve them if possible. IMO, i believe the Xtra-10 is better for jumping than the Xtra-12 which is more of a luxury cruiser. You could upgrade to Walker Evans shocks, but they are spendy. There's alot of new stuff on the market now. Dual-rate springs are nice too, they get stiffer as it compresses more. I have them, i like them! On mine, i have 2 springs on each shock on the front IFS.
If you want to change suspension parts on your SKS, you might like adjustable shocks to adjust the damping for different riding conditions. They are really nice to have, but we don't all have the $$$ to buy them.

Good luck, and post some big-air pics!..[:D]

·
Registered
608 Posts
I don't see how the Extra-10 could be a downgrade. The 95 suspension was an improvement, but not as good as the Extra-10. Really good adjustable shocks and heavy springs are your best bet. I would also like to add that an SKS is probably not the best choice for that kind of enjoyment.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts